_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Spraying Mr Surfacer
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 11:03 PM UTC
Hi
Just sprayed Mr Surfacer for the first time and even though I was using the 1000 grade I had to crank my airbrush up to 30psi.
Is this normal or should I thin the stuff and if so what would you guys and girls suggest ?

TIA

Brian
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 12:07 AM UTC
Brian I'm about to try spraying Mr Surfacer for the first time and the research I've done suggests thinning it about 50/50 with Lacquer Thinner. I'm going to try using Mr Surfacer 1200. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, D
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 12:28 AM UTC
It is normal that Surfacer requires higher pressure, just watch out, if the pressure is too high the Surfacer grains will dry in the air and your surface will be rough and dusty instead of being smooth as wanted. It is therefore highly advisable to thin it.

Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 05:08 AM UTC
Cheers guys

I will have to see if my LMS has some in stock or have a look at eBay

Brian
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 10:44 AM UTC
Halfords sell cellulose/ lacquer thinner, I think. Probably also available in Wilkinson, B&Q, etc
Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 11:03 AM UTC
Cheers Ben.
I will try to grab some tomorrow.

Brian
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 - 12:15 PM UTC
Hi Brian, I'm not sure about the rules and regs regarding solvents in the UK, but I get my Lacquer Thinner from the local Hardware or Paint store, it is used for thinning timber stains by woodworkers and cabinet makers.

Cheers, D
McIvan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Zealand
KitMaker: 64 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 05:42 PM UTC
I sprayed Surfacer 1000 for the first time two nights ago...quite apprehensive about it I was too.

I used lacquer thinner from the local hardware store, thinned about 50/50.

First up I got all these wispy threads coming out of the brush and draping off the edges and protruding pieces such as guns of my aircraft. In addition the airbrush clogged up real quick. Increasing the pressure partially solved this.

I tipped a bunch of the mixture out and added more thinner....probably got down to 75% thinner or three parts thinner to one part surfacer. That is probably a little too thin in retrospect....but it solved the problem. Mr Surfacer now sprayed on beautifully. The only problem from my view was that fumes were going everywhere (forgetting I still had my pressure up high).

It was a learning experience......the lessons being that Mr Surfacer requires quite a heavy thinning. Beautiful result though. I think, however, that I will get a proper extractor fan paint booth before using it again. I had a household fan behind me and an open window, but it was still overpowering, and not something you want to be breathing or impregnating into the walls even if you do have a respirator.

BTW the wispy bits when it hadn't been thinned enough simply brushed aside like cobwebs...no problem at all. Don't worry too much that you might ruin the model.

Bungal
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 08:39 PM UTC
Hi Ivan
Thanks for the advice I will make sure I use my mask when using it and keep the window open, door closed and fan on high.

Brian
 _GOTOTOP