Nakajima Ki43-II revised - 1/48 Fine Molds
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hi gang

not sure a Blog is suitable for such work. If not, please remove that flag Rowan!

When I met with Jean-Luc and Marc last monday I took my 10 year old Fine Molds Ki43 with me to take a few pictures to spice up an old article where I just had 2 small ones (see here for the new pix)

During the photo session I noticed the strange angle of the u/c legs. Easy thing, I broke these off, drilled holes in legs and wing, inserted pieces of hypodermic needle and reglued them to my liking.

When doing this I noticed that I did not work very well on the leading edge and sanded some imperfections away. Then I thought the fabric control surfaces should be Army green grey rather then silver and repainted that too ... you see I ran from a small correction into a rebuild ... I did not like the flow marks showing through the silver ath the elevators and repainted that Alu. Also I found a biiig step at the rear wing to fuselage joint. I cut this with a PE saw and softened the area with Tamiya extra thin cement. Then I reglued it with some pressure apllied to get a nice smooth transition The rest was sanded and a bit of Mr. Surfacer 500 will do the rest.

Turning to the upper side I did not like the style of wear and tear (just some silver brush strokes) and decided to cover it up with army dark green. Of course I did not match the paint I used then (also I do no longer know what I used) but the Klear coat highlights the freshly applied paint. A wash plus flat coat will even that out a bit and will leave a slight colour variation.

This measures will not bring this model up to my current style, but I can take this model to a show again ...

all the best

Steffen
P.S. if you read this when I just posted the topic. Do not wonder the inet ate 95 % of my first try because I made a mistake (not sure which though)
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Wednesday, August 04, 2010 - 06:03 AM UTC
A bit of progress

When i tried to mask the lower hinomarus I pulled up most of them, so I removed most of the silver. then I primed it with X-1 black and the sprayed Dark Aluminium from JPS. Now I will use Mal's Masks for Hinumarus to restore these. Upper side is already flat coated ...

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
Hi all

I'm getting there. The only thing left is reattaching the tanks (which I will have to repaint)

looks better to my eye

all the best

Steffen
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hi again

I have attached the fuel tanks (just stuck on with wire pins) and now I call this small refurbishment done. It is surely not a great build, but I like it much better now

You'll note quite some distortion: it is just the photo not taken from straight above but with a slight angle on several axes plus a fish eye effect ...

Thanks for watching!!

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP