_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Revell Magic flight kit
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 12:33 PM UTC
Back in 2006 I actually built one of these for a Lt. Col. Houchin. USAF. It came in 1:72 and the subject was of course a Red Fokker Dr.I from Revell.

It is the old kit and was probably a way for them to decrease their stock of older sprues. It begins with the instructions telling you to cut the repair plugs from the fuselage halves. You know those discs that are attached to the mating edges. The magnet fits inside the closed fuselage. Then some slices are cut in the undersides of the horizontal tail and axle wing to lay in some wires that have loops at the ends and will anchor the invisible threads. The other ends go to the base.

I modified the magnet set up as it rested on the seat support and I removed these support stubs from the side walls of the fuselage halves. The magnet now lays in the bottom of the fuselage and I can add some faux cockpit items. The cabane and landing gear struts were replaced with Aeroclub STRUTZ using the brown tipped items. I will not add any more brass details or wood propeller. Going to keep this a simple build. Though the weight trade of would be minimal. Just remember if you decide to give it a go use just brass. I picked up a pair of non-magnetic tweezers some years back. They are worth having especially with this build.

I painted the upper face of the magnet in the fuselage to represent wood and cut the pilot off at the shins. Also just using the seat back (with no bullet hole present to keep it accurate.) I painted the resemblence of the lower legs and feet on the floor in a black shadow. Since the pilot is painted in black it is relatively easy to do. Minor structure pieces are added in here and there. The plastic Spandaus are used unmodified. To simulate the aircraft rigging again I will use .006 (thou) brass but will blacken it chemically then maybe paint it anodized silver.

When I finished the build. It was mounted on the base by three hairlike monofilament strands. Photographing it is almost impossible for my camera. I have the wobbling at almost zero. The magnetic field took a lot of trial and error to get right. Now I could probably build them in my sleep.
MrMox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 09:11 PM UTC
Nice, it just lacks a spinning propeller

Cheers/Jan
jimb
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,539 posts