_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
how to propery handle models
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 642 posts
AeroScale: 382 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hi all!
First of all, let me say that I am mailnly focusing on WW1 aircraft lately, so my question is relatet to this subject, but I think it can also be extended to other periods/models.
Ok, let's say I have tihs beautiful plane. All built, and painted. Still there are a lot of activities to be done before considering it done: weathering, rigging, decals, undercarriage, etc, etc.
Now, how do you handle the plane during such activities?

I usually hold it by the wings, and that invariably brings de-coloration on the wings profile. If I put it upsidedown I end up with scratches and decoloration of the risen surfaces (wing ribs, etc).

How do you you cure those?
Thank you in advance
Ciao
Edo
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 03:08 AM UTC
Hi Edo,

I assemble the undercarriage (but don't attach the wheels) before painting, and hold the model by the wings (light grip on the leading and trailing edges). I try to get a coat of varnish over the paint as soon as possible. On my current build, I have worn away the paint on the trailing edges, but I don't think touch-ups here are very noticeable. I sit models on their wheel-less undercarriages, and any paint lost from the ends of the undercarriage legs is touched up before the wheels are added, right at the end of the build.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all!
First of all, let me say that I am mailnly focusing on WW1 aircraft lately, so my question is relatet to this subject, but I think it can also be extended to other periods/models.
Ok, let's say I have tihs beautiful plane. All built, and painted. Still there are a lot of activities to be done before considering it done: weathering, rigging, decals, undercarriage, etc, etc.
Now, how do you handle the plane during such activities?

I usually hold it by the wings, and that invariably brings de-coloration on the wings profile. If I put it upsidedown I end up with scratches and decoloration of the risen surfaces (wing ribs, etc).

How do you you cure those?
Thank you in advance
Ciao
Edo

For some this is a very good question . Like Ben has said once the colour scheme is on and decal ed this is sealed right away with flat cote and left to dry over night , some times days for me . this will ensure you have a hard surface . Then I will do what ever weathering and seal it again . once this has dried up nice and hard the top wing gets mounted and rigging begins . I will wear surgical gloves some times but I try not to touch the model very much at this stage . Washing your hands is also important . You can lay down a sheet for paper towel on the work bench for something soft for the kit to lay on . Once the rigging is done the very last parts are the prop tail skid and wheel . If I have to move the model like Ben always by the leading and trailing edges of the wings .( wash hands every time ) .
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 04:28 AM UTC
I went to a local photo supply shop and bought a package of two pairs of soft cotton gloves. They have a tight fit and are thin enough to easily handle the model without fear of damaging the paint or finish. Nothing worse than greasy fingerprints on a beautiful paint job.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 04:53 AM UTC
let each layer of paint dry thoroughly and use gloves.

I use these very thin medical rubber gloves
edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 09:24 PM UTC
Hi guys!
Thank you all for the tips!
I think that the problem is widespread, and you all come up with very reasonable answers.
Washing hands is something I quite often forget to do but I believe is a priority: I never thought of it before, but maybe also sweat (being a mild acid) could damage the paint.
Another thing is to better seal the paint with a clear coat. We don't have Future here in Italy, and I use the Tamya stuff, but anyway maybe I use it too sparingly as I fear to clog the details with too much paint and in so doing I end up with a less then seald plane.
I hear the many of you wear gloves... this is puzzling: don't you loose sensitiveness?
Thank you again
ciao
Edo
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 08:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys!
I hear the many of you wear gloves... this is puzzling: don't you loose sensitiveness?

Yes yuo do, but yuo do not need so much sensitivity for holding the model.

I only wear a glove on my left hnd to manipulate the model, my righ hand is glove-less and being right handed i do all the painting, detailing, weathering... with that one.

But there are other handy things

I made a model holder with an old swivel of a computer screen. puttign a model on this thing and I can turn it 360 degrees and put it on slight angels without touching it.

I have made some extra tools for this; like a piece of wood fixed under 45 degrees with two nails in (to be replaced fro every model) . the nails are placed that they fit exactluy in the hole of the main undercariage.

another trick with jets is to leave the exhaust off until the very last minute. This gives at least one very big hole in the model, good to put a stick in it and then you can hold and turn the model anyway you want holding the stick.

For smaller parts, like ejection seats, or exhausts which can be painted seperately you can (white) glue a piece of sprue to the underside of the ejection seat or the back of the exhaust to hold the thing. once finished, just break it of as it is in an invisible place anyway

edoardo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Milano, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hi Drabslab!
Those are really handy tips!
I'll have to think of how build such a jig myself!
By the way: I think that your suggestions could fit the "tips and trick" thread we are haveing on the Early Aviation forum!

Thank you
Edo
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 10:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Drabslab!
Those are really handy tips!
I'll have to think of how build such a jig myself!

Quoted Text

By the way: I think that your suggestions could fit the "tips and trick" thread we are haveing on the Early Aviation forum!

Thank you
Edo

Yes, there is a wealth of information hidden in the dungeons of the forums. The problem is that it is difficult to recover.

We should have a"my way to do things" section where tips and tricks are visualised and kept alive.

whap, yet another idea for staff_Jim to consider programming
 _GOTOTOP