_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
CAS Campaign: Hobbyboss A-10
shopkin4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,135 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 01:27 PM UTC
Hello Aeroscale and Kitmaker Users

This will be my first aircraft build in nine years (last build a plane at the tender age of 13) and it will be for my father who made a special request. He's a Vietnam vet and told me he wanted me to build him something when he comes to visit me. He requested something newer, but specifically, he wanted something close to his heart. With this, I asked him if he wanted me to build him a A-1 Skyraider but he told me he wanted the modern version of it. While fighting on the ground my father requested close air support a lot and was veru familiar with the sight of the Skyraider. So what better than the A-10 which comes from a long line of famous Close Air Support Aircraft.

For my build I will be venturing into brand new territory as I have taken a break from my T-72A and Leopard 2A6M builds to focus on this specifically. I will also be using Joe's (mother) Build for reference as well as various photos online.

Here is a list of the things I will be using:
Hobbyboss A-10 Thunderbolt II
Eduard Zoom Color PE - A-10 Thunderbolt II Interior Set
Aires A-10 Thunderbolt II / Warthog Cockpit Set
Eduard Mask - A-10 Thunderbolt II
Afterburner Decals A-10 Thunderbolt II "Spang Hawgs"

I anticipate my research will conclude on Wednesday and building will begin that same day. If anyone can point me in the direction of useful reference photos that would be great because there can never be too many good photos.

Lastly, I hope that I can bring some armor modeling skills to this "flying tank" and finish building within a week.

Thanks for listening and hoping that some will chime in and offer some advice/tips to this newbie.

Thanks Alot!
Sean
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 03:30 PM UTC
Looks like we stole another one careful its addicting over here
Its going to be A-10 month I guess.Welcome to the modern forums and I look forward to your build.You will love the kit it builds nicely and the Aires cockpit gives it that extra something.As far as pic's go here is all you will need.
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/walk-jet.htm
If you have any questions let me or Joe know we will be happy to help
shopkin4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 03:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks like we stole another one careful its addicting over here
Its going to be A-10 month I guess.Welcome to the modern forums and I look forward to your build.You will love the kit it builds nicely and the Aires cockpit gives it that extra something.As far as pic's go here is all you will need.
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/walk-jet.htm
If you have any questions let me or Joe know we will be happy to help

Thank you very much Justin. This is exactly what I needed. I'm checking the fit of the wing halves together and it's a little weird.

As I look through the reference pictures I'm sure I will find images of this portion.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 04:25 PM UTC
Yeah all these A-10 projects seem to be contagious lately, has me thinking about breaking out the old 1/32nd Trumpy kit.

So far your off to a great start with a handful of goodies. I have many reference books that contain some great photos so if your looking for something let me know.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
shopkin4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Monday, August 09, 2010 - 05:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yeah all these A-10 projects seem to be contagious lately, has me thinking about breaking out the old 1/32nd Trumpy kit.

So far your off to a great start with a handful of goodies. I have many reference books that contain some great photos so if your looking for something let me know.

Happy Modeling,
Joe

Joe,

Could you post some pictures of the control surfaces like the flaps. There is a gap where the wing ribs join at the wing halves, but I'm not sure if this is supposed to be there or not. Also, can you message me your number again? I can't seem to find it.
shopkin4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 08:11 PM UTC
I assembled the right and left wings as well as the rear control surfaces for the elevators and rudders. Everything is dry fitted, and it seems that the big weakness of the kit is the fit. Maybe because I'm used to building armor but I find myself using a alot of Mr. Surfacer and Putty to get things just right. But with the right wing, I got things just right and I've never been more satisfied. So with all my dry fit, here are two photos:

Other than this, I'll address the fit issues when I get my cockpit and get that painted.

Thanks for looking!
Sean
 _GOTOTOP