_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
von Richthofen´s last Dr.I
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 11:51 AM UTC
Hi friends, yesterday I talked with a friend by phone, and we talked about the WW1 models, and the talk turned to Richthofen´s last plane.

My surprise grew when he told me the fact that the last plane was not all red with the white tail, it was light blue in under surfaces.

And the cross markings where not the straight arms croix, that it had the old Malta croix marks.

He told me an history that I did not heard before, some guys found in atics some grandfather´s pieces of fabric, from Richthofen´s plane, and some notes about the old man, that said that history. Even the machine guns where in USA and the old owners back them to Germany.

Is that true? somebody heard some about this history or is it a myth?

Cheers.

Al
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 03:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi friends, yesterday I talked with a friend by phone, and we talked about the WW1 models, and the talk turned to Richthofen´s last plane.

My surprise grew when he told me the fact that the last plane was not all red with the white tail, it was light blue in under surfaces.

And the cross markings where not the straight arms croix, that it had the old Malta croix marks.

He told me an history that I did not heard before, some guys found in atics some grandfather´s pieces of fabric, from Richthofen´s plane, and some notes about the old man, that said that history. Even the machine guns where in USA and the old owners back them to Germany.

Is that true? somebody heard some about this history or is it a myth?

Cheers.

Al

Myth. The machine was painted at the factory overall red. The rudder was red and it also came with the Iron crosses from the factory. BUT by the time he was killed it had a white rudder and all crosses were the latin or Balken crosses. There are some good threads on the subject here. The lt. blue undersurfaces were never seen outside the factory one this machine. The uppersurface streaking was never applied.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 03:17 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen, I going to serch the threads here about this theme, I saw an article about a lot of Dr.I, even a model like the first test plane.

Cheers.

Al
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 03:27 PM UTC
Here is a bit of fun on the subject you mentioned.

Click here.

Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 03:51 AM UTC
This is one of the lots of pics that I saw.

Thanks.

Al
 _GOTOTOP