_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Help with colour schemes
Apachetear88
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hi, I have...a few questions. I've looked on the internet, but my looking skills aren't superb...

Having only just started the hobby, I wanted to do a little 'project' so to speak...

Now, one of my favourite books is Sagitarius Rising, and I think I want to base the project around this book.

So...I landed on simply - collecting the aircraft that the author (Cecil Lewis) flew during World War I.

He flew (that I can see)

Morane Parasol
B.E2
FE2b
S.E.5a
Sopwith Camel - but I think, 3 different ones...

Now - the problem I face is colour scheme, not being all that clued up the WWI camo/paint schemes...

The Morane Parasol was part of RFC no.3 squadron

BE2 was no.9 squadron

FE2b was no.23 squadron

S.E.5a was in 56 squadron

the 3 Sopwiths were

44th Squadron
61st Squadron
152nd Night Fighter Squadron

Could anybody advise me on either the color schemes/paints I will need for these? Or point me in the right direction and the place to find them...

AZ Models 1:72 Morane Saulnier Type L Parasol
Roden 1:72 RAF S.E.5a with Hispano Suiza engine
Roden 1:72 Sopwith F.1 Camel

These models are the ones I've ordered so far, and I'll get the other 2 Sopwiths at a later date methinks...(I also wasn't sure about the engine type with the S.E.5a - I'm hoping it to be the right one)

finally - having a spot of bother finding the BE2 & the FE2b in 1:72 scale

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 01:21 AM UTC
First let me say, welcome Jacob!

For your first post you really jumped into the deep end. To start you out here is a key reference.

http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.co.uk/

Operated by Mr. Ray Rimell it has been a real boon to anyone doing WWI aviation research.

The relevant "Datafiles often have profile schemes that will give you the info you need. Some of the Datafile Specials concern all units the subject machine was assigned to. On the SE 5a I may have that info readily available.

At any rate I comgratulate you on your endeavour and we look forward to seeing examples of your progress. I'll check on the SE 5a info and get back with you here.
Apachetear88
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 01:54 AM UTC
Cheers for that!

I've already spotted a book which says it details the Sopwith Camel squadrons, and I hope to be able to find the colours I need for the 3 Sopwiths

(although I'll need to give Sagitarius Rising a quick re-read to make sure that he didn't fly a pup or some variant instead in any cases - dont want to go ordering the wrong model!)

Now...to carry on hunting for a 1:72 FE2 & BE2...

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi Jacob !

For the two kit's you are still looking for on the BE2 in 72 scale Amodel makes one . Don't know if it is available still some looking will be needed ( e-bay )
And for the FE2B in 72 scale , Foraplace ( vac-u-form ) has one as well as Aeroclub and pegasus .

Osprey Publishing has a book on the No 56 Sqn RAF/RFC . And they do talk about this gentlemen one of the top scoring ace with 8 kills in this unit . Aircraft colours are a dope linen under side with PC 10 top surface .

Okay coffee time , be right back after these few short messages ............( some hair spray ad is to be playing with elevator music playing ...)

Not sure what type of paint you will be using so if you can get Tamiya down by you you can mix Buff XF-57 with some white added for the dope linen and for the PC 10 Olive Drab XF-62 mix with Khaki Drab XF-51 .

The sopwith camel and the F2B would be the same for the colour scheme .

Hope this helps you out some
Apachetear88
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 - 09:49 PM UTC
This is all so useful :-)

I got a lucky break when I looked at the SE5a that was delivered yesterday, and that the diagram on the back is the colour scheme for 56th Squadron!

I also had a gulp moment when I went to re-read the book and it was saying that Cecil Lewis' flight log has him in about 89 different planes over his lifetime...

I think I might keep it to his active WW1 service (not including when he was in training)

Interesting fact: Cecil Lewis was the last WW1 pilot to die who was an 'ace' (in the RAF at least)
 _GOTOTOP