_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix?
Kilshaw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 22 posts
AeroScale: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 03:29 AM UTC
Hi

Airfix arent known for their quality to meet the needs of more experienced modellers - does anyone know whether or not the new airfix 1/48 hawker hurricane mk.i is very good (ie - easy to put together, not much flash, etc...)

Thanks

Jake Kilshaw

(Kilshaw)
okdoky
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
AeroScale: 34 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 05:10 AM UTC
Hi Jake

Airfix still great for getting kids started on the hobby. It is great to see a mix of their old and new tooling kits on sale as it makes for cheeper entry level kits with all the challenges that more experienced modellers ground their new teeth on.

LONG LIVE AIRFIX

Nige, Holly and Jasmine
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 05:49 AM UTC
Don't know about their 1/48 stuff but I have the new tool Spitfire IX, Spitfire PR XIX, BAE Hawk, Sea Harrier FA2, Canberra PR9 and ME110 all in 1/72 and i like them.
The new stuff is much better moulded than the earlier kits and features engraved panel lines (a bit heavy but ok for most people I think) and fits together better.
For the price they are good, they still lack detail in some areas (like cockpits and wheel wells on ww2 fighters) but you can make nice models from them
thanks
Mike
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
I thought Airfix kits were what made experienced modelers.
jabo6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 276 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:52 AM UTC
ill drink to that mark
Armando
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 20 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 11:28 AM UTC

Me too..... .Hip..!!! Hip..!!! Hip...!!! Hurray

Armando

heraldcoupe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 10:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi

Airfix arent known for their quality to meet the needs of more experienced modellers -

A bit of a sweeping statement. Airfix set the bar with some of their kits, while others are mediocre, a bit like most other companies really.

Quoted Text

does anyone know whether or not the new airfix 1/48 hawker hurricane mk.i is very good (ie - easy to put together, not much flash, etc...)

This is a fairly old kit, late 1970s or early 1980s from memory. As you would expect with an old tool, there is some wear so expect a little flash and possibly some fettling to make everything fit nicely. Detail is limited, but aftermarket sets intended for the Hasegawa kits should fit without major issues.

I would say this is an ideal kit for an experienced modeller, it's pretty accurate and will reward the time specnt on it. A beginner would be better sticking with the Hasegawa kit, an easier build but compromised in some areas to extend the number of options possible fromthe same tools,

Cheers,
Bill.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 08:04 PM UTC
As Bill has stated the Airfix Hurricane is more accurate than the getting hard to find Hasegawa offerings, but does lack in detail compared to the Hasegawa kits.

There are loads of conversion and detail sets out there for both companies offering and those for Hasegawa's kits should fit the Airfix version.

With a little work the Airfix kit can be a gem.
 _GOTOTOP