_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
REVIEW
DFW C.V the 1st production batch
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 06:58 PM UTC

This Karaya 1/48th scale kit is a very high quality resin kit. It has been the basis of a first, early and late production batch issues for the DFW C.V. Altogether #48010 is a good kit but there are some challenges.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 03:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the review Stephen .

What is the surface of the wings like for the ribbing ?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 10:01 AM UTC
(Image from the review.)

The surfacing is actually a decent representation.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, August 13, 2010 - 08:35 PM UTC

The finished build images included in the review are from Aeroscale member and all round good fellow, Mikko Saarela of Finland.

See this and his other builds also on his website here.
Familyman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 88 posts
AeroScale: 87 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 14, 2010 - 03:55 AM UTC
A very good and accurate review, Stephen!

I've got nothing much to add, except maybe this about the forward firing MG:

Your kit, # 48010, has fuselage halves for the first production version with a blunt nose and no spinner, right? I don't think that version actually had a forward firing mg installed, so the fuselage halves are probably right. Karaya seems to have the same PE set - and same assembly instructions! - for every boxing of the kit and you have to fix the instrument panel for this first production batch version. No scratch built ammo boxes are needed and you can also use the nice Karaya mg for an other model!

I had some interesting information about the Telefunken transmitter after I had finished my model. A fellow Finnish modeler Heikki Lappalainen had come across a photo taken inside the observers cockpit of DWF C.V. The radio equipment had been installed on a plywood wall in front of the cockpit just under the extra Parabellum ammobelt reel boxes (these are nicely detailed in the Karaya kit, too!) and behind the fuel tank. There is no such plywood panel in the cockpit of the Cracow museum DFW. So my scratch built radio on the port side of the observers cockpit might be in the wrong place.

Mikko

_GOTOTOP