_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Lozenge Application
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
I have a question about applying lozenge to the lifting surfaces of aircraft (big flat bits of planes). How do you trim the decals on the edges of the big flat bits? I have tried it before but found that the decals tore rather than cut cleanly, even with a new blade in my knife.

I am about to apply lozenge to my WNW LVG C.VI and don't want a repeat of the torn decals I have produced before.

Thanks in advance.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 07:30 PM UTC
Flex file. See here.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 08:53 PM UTC
OK Stephen. Thanks for that. I just ordered a set.. I will ask how when they arrive. WIll give lozenge ages to dry thoroughly..
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 - 03:53 AM UTC
Hi Warren !

For trimming off the the excess I use a new 11 blade and use a down ward montion to cut off the over hang

Start with the base of the balde and work towards to the tip in one montion .

hope this helps you
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 - 07:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

OK Stephen. Thanks for that. I just ordered a set.. I will ask how when they arrive. WIll give lozenge ages to dry thoroughly..

As long as all areas have dried decal on them the loose edges can be burnished with a thumb nail. then it just flakesoff. Otherwise Any decal that accidently wraps around the edges cane easily be rmoved with the flexfile. No flat edges to be concerned about. The flex file follows the contours of the surface its applied to. I have been using one for about twenty five years.
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 - 10:05 AM UTC
Thanks Terri and Stephen. I sprayed the wings etc with paint then gave it a coat of Future to make sure it is very glossy for the decals. Will post results whenever I get around to applying the decals. The Queen Mary 2 is keeping me more occupied than I thought it would..
 _GOTOTOP