_GOTOBOTTOM
Start Here (for Beginners)
This forum is for younger modelers or people just starting out in the hobby.
Canopy help please...
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 07:31 PM UTC
I'm building Revell's 1:32 Alouette II w/ Nord SS.11's, and here's what's going on with the canopy. I can't find Future anywhere (I started another thread to try to find out where people buy it), so I decided to go one more model without it. I'm trying to mask it off now, and if you know this chopper, there is a LOT to do. I don't have Parafilm or 3M blue tape, so I'm using masking tape and I am anticipating a LOT of polishing afterwards. I opened up a new #11 knife, and even after burnishing the tape, I can't see where I am supposed to cut. So going very slowly, I managed to essentially scratch up the whole canopy. What do I do about the cuts? And can I just use Scotch tape for this? It would make cutting a LOT easier. Canopies have never been my strong suit, and this one isn't helping. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 18, 2010 - 09:53 PM UTC
Been there, done that, didn't like the outcome either.
Is the masking tape you're using that regular hardware store kind, beige or tan and sligthly porous? I haven't tried those personally, but I've heard they can be troublesome at times, with paint easily bleeding under if one's not careful.

I haven't had much success either trying to cut out canopy frames over burnished down tape, always ended up with scratches in the canopy.
What I usually do is reduce the amount of cuts going across the canopy by using thin strips of tape laid down along the edges of the clear panels. That way you don't have to cut along the whole panel with a knife, just the thin strips near the corners. The centers are then easily filled with larger pieces.

While Scotch tape will probably work as well, I'd recommend getting some dedicated masking tape, it makes masking so much less of a chore. Tamiya's is good stuff, when cut into thin strips it can conform to some curves as well.
Be careful with the Scotch though and don't leave it in place longer than necessary, as it can get harder to remove over time and/or leave adhesive residue.

md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 03:37 AM UTC
Robby, I think SC Johnson has re-named Future to "Pledge with Future shine", in the US it is most likely in the cleaning products aisle of your local grocery store. There are knock off versions and the real 3-M painter's tape at most hardware stores and in the big box home improvement stores.

I just did something like Eetu suggested on my P-40. The framing lines were way too subtle to use as a blind cutting guide. I measured the width of the frame and cut a strip of tape that wide. I then took a piece of the tape and laid it over the canopy, lining it up with the vertical frames, all three panels were the same width. Then I lined a straight edge up with the horizontal frames of the two adjacent windows and using a fresh #11 blade cut carefully across the tape, opening up the horizontal frame. Repeat as necessary. I'll try to get a detail pic tongiht.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 04:23 AM UTC
Hope you don't mind, just quickly doodled up this with ms paint:

Not that pretty, but should make the idea clear.

doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 01:38 PM UTC
I have been using jammy dog masking tape in the very narrow (1mm) widths, very nice results with this great product.
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 03:55 PM UTC
UPDATE: I did okay with the masking along the outlines, but as expected, there was a significant amount of undesired paint that got deep through my masking. I had dipped the pieces in Future beforehand, and so I figured that when I would go to clean off the paint (using a Q-Tip in standard thinner), all would be well. The canopy panels looked great for a second, then fogged up tremendously. What is the control-alt-delete sequence for a canopy gone amok? Is there one, or do I have to just call up Revell and buy some spares?
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 02:42 PM UTC
sounds like it is ruined I mask of with tamiya or jammydog tape, carefully burnishing down and then go with light coats of airbrush paint as to not let the paint pool up and creep under the tape.I have only about three years of experience however I do think I have canopies down the quality of the masking tape is very..very important as is the careful burnishing down of tape.I tape off in stages if canopie is very intricate, all vertical framing masked off, then all horizontal, this may take quite awhile as I remove masking tape and re apply.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 - 08:33 AM UTC
Well, depending on the tremendousness of the fogging, a dipping or two in future just might clear it up somewhat. It's probably best to start looking for a replacement after a mishap like that, as harsher thinners tend to quickly eat into plastics. But it's no harm trying.
 _GOTOTOP