_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Dirk's 1/72 Daimler-Benz Spitfire EN830
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 307 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 12:59 AM UTC
Welcome to my latest project.

History

This story begins back on November 18th 1942, while being flown by P/O Bernard Scheidhauer of the Free French Air Force while attached to the 131 "County of Kent" Sqn. Bernard and his wingman, P/O Henri de Bordas, had been on a "rhubarb" to Normandy. Bernard and his ride EN830 was hit by light flak and was forced to make a landing in a turnip field at Dielament Manor, Trinity, Jersey.

Lt Scheidhauer was taken prisoner by the Germans and eventually transported to Stalag Luft III at Sagan, Silesia Poland. Lt Bernard Scheidhauer's story once in Stalag Luft III is one of the most famous and prolific events of the war. You see Scheidhauer was an active participant in the construction of a tunnel caled Harry which lead to the event known as The Great Escape, but that is a different story.

Our story is about Lt Scheidhauer's trusty Spitfire which was made a POW by the Germans and sent, south of Stuttgart, where Daimler-Benz operated a flight testing division. It was here that the Germans removed the Spits Merlin engine. They replaced it with a DB 605A-1 engine and wrapped it in a Bf 110G's engine cowling. Next they attached the propeller from a Bf 109G along with the carburetor scoop.

The Kit(s)

here are the kits that I will be using for this project.

The Spitfire's parts

The Bf 110's parts

Unfortunately for the Bf-110 the only parts that will be needed will be one of its engine cowling. What a waste :cry:

The goal

The real EN830

Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 12:59 AM UTC
This build will be a huge test of my modeling skills and will be the first time I attempt to merge two different aircraft. Those of you that are huge fans of the Bf-110 you might want to turn away.

Here are some drawings

Here we go. Time for a Nip/ Tuck

The patient is prepped and ready

Once the engine cowling's were removed from the wings they were trimmed up, glued together with some CA glue and clamped in place to dry.

After the glue dried I used some Tamiya tape to mark the next set of cuts.

next came the fitting and trimming.

Off to the incinerator with the dead parts

That wasn't so painful
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 08:25 AM UTC
I must say that this will be a quite cool crossover and a rather different idea of a build. It's not a "What if" as CJ+ZY according to sources existed. This idea has actually inspired me to make something similar.

It will not be a crossover build such as yours, but rather a crossover paint job. I'm thinking of a war-booty plane painted to be a "Soldier under two flags" Just need to finish my current build first.

Looking forward to see the progress!

Cheers!
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:15 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to seeing what you come up with
padawan_82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 11:01 PM UTC
i love what you've done so far Dirk. the spitfire is one of my favorite aircraft, i've got that many different marks on the go it's unreal but this is something unique, i knew the germans captured and rebuilt certain allied aircraft for testing and evaluation, but i'd never seen a spitfire with a Daimler-Benz engine. i'll be following this build with interest, good luck mate i'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 06:30 AM UTC
This week has been a bit crazy between work, kids and Fantasy football draft. I was able to get a little work done on the wings and cockpit.

The Doctor is in

There was no interior detail so I scratched some ribs.

Pilots access door

Cockpit

Next came the wings

Sadly I had to remove the guns as that is what the Germans did at the time. It's like doing a boob reduction. Its just not right!

This kit was sent to me by a member of another forum. Now I have the prop, spinner and carb scoop I need to complete this Bf-Spitfire.

Thanks for looking
CanDid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 123 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 03:58 AM UTC
Really nice work so far!
javlin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Mississippi, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 03:29 AM UTC
Whats the status on this one Dirk?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 12:25 PM UTC
A Spitzerschmitt !!
Dirkpitt289
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 16, 2011 - 02:51 PM UTC
Not far I'm afraid. I got the wings attached and the nose taped in place. Its been sitting on my bench staring at me for months now. Life, work, the holidays and other project interests have gotten in the way.

Here is how she sits right now. Maybe I will figure out a way to start this one up again. It's a great subject.

Thanks for asking about this one.
padawan_82
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 - 09:58 PM UTC
hi Dirk have you progressed any on your 'spitzerschmitt'
 _GOTOTOP