Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-51 Mustang questions
TOTS48
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 06:19 AM UTC
Howdy Folks, just hope someone can enlighten me as to the proper silver color of P-51B/C's. Now I heard that they were sprayed overall with an aluminum dope at the factory then I see others using Alclad polished-type colors which looks alittle like "overkill". Next up, pics I've seen of their wing surfaces showing the slightest bit of panel lines. Then I read a build article where someone stated that the wings were smooth except for the MG Access panels. Any answers to these would be greatly appreciated. I've got P-51 A, B and C builds going on right now. Thank you!
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 02:17 AM UTC
the fuse was aluminum, the wings were puttied and sealed then painted "silver"

Read this:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=21362
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 02:39 AM UTC
Shawn is right . The fuselage was left in it's natuarl metal while the wings were putty and paint in dural alumm paint .
TOTS48
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 07:57 AM UTC
Much appreciate the replies folks, thank you. One small problem though, what about the Tail Wings? Same silver color with panel lines filled or Aluminum? Sorry to be a pest!
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 01:31 AM UTC
tail surfaces were aluminum.
The wing was puttied and sealed to aid in the laminar air flow over the wing, improving its efficiency and reducing drag.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC
Gee thanks guys. I read thru all of this and got all excited to try it out on the Testors/Hawk P-51D I was building for the P-51 campaign. The fuselage has engraved panel lines, the wings have raised panel lines. Maube I can chisel them off with out doing too much damage. This really is a transition kit...
TOTS48
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 10:07 AM UTC
Thanks Shawn, really apprecite the info. It's going to prove very valuable as I'm doing a P-51A, B, F-6A and C models and 2 of them will be in the Natural metal/Silver/OD scheme.
I didn't know there was a P-51 build campaign?
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 11:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't know there was a P-51 build campaign?

Here's the thread. We're ~2 1/2 months into it if you still want to sign up. Check with Terri (The Girl)

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/140777&ord=&page=15
MikeMx
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 649 posts
AeroScale: 434 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 12:18 PM UTC
Just to throw a spanner in the works here - I've just been to the RAF musuem in Hendon (London) at the weekend and I was looking at the P51D they have there (US markings) and it seems its mostly very shiny natural metal but they were a lot of panels in a much duller (painted I guess) silver colour. Not just the wings but on the fuselage too.
Obviously I have no idea if thats what is was like in service or whether thats been done during restoration but my advice is do your model to your taste. I bet they were very shiny when brand new but the shine would go in service. I have several P-51's to do but as I model in 1/72 I'm not sure I will do all the panels that were different - maybe just some larger ones.
Another thing I've noticed is that 'Big Beautiful Doll' base at Duxford has natural metal on the inside of her landing gear covers and I'm sure in the wheel wells too but the one in Hendon's are green! Again I have no idea which is right! I thought there were interior green but maybe again thats been changed during restoration. So should I do my 'Big Beautiful Doll''s wheel wells etc in green or silver? Guess I can't go wrong really there but what about others?

thanks
Mike
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 02:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Gee thanks guys. I read thru all of this and got all excited to try it out on the Testors/Hawk P-51D I was building for the P-51 campaign. The fuselage has engraved panel lines, the wings have raised panel lines. Maube I can chisel them off with out doing too much damage. This really is a transition kit...

Thats ideal! Raised ones on the wings are way easier to sand off then having to fill them all!
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 03:24 AM UTC
Seems to be, I got most of the lines off last night. Now I've just got to polish them out. Several areas are heavily riveted, they might be more of a challenge.
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 05:05 AM UTC
filler or Mr.Surfacer should work..never used the stuff though
TOTS48
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 06:13 AM UTC
I was thinking about the filler idea. I might just try thin stretched sprue and Testors liquid cement to fill in those small lines. Might just work out better. Thanks Shawn, for the extra info on the tail planes. Now I can get these puppies right!
 _GOTOTOP