_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Contest judging criteria
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 04:33 AM UTC
The last weekend, we had an contest from IPMS group in Zapopan (Guadalajara metropolitan area) but I do not enter, I liked to see, learn and observate the judge criteria.

I talked with one of the judges and told me the gold rules in modelism:

1.- Good build
2.- Good paint
3.- Decals in the right place

The documentation of real plane is in last place, and weatering techniques and modifications as move ailerons, elevator or rudder (Flaps and slats in other age planes)

But sincerely, I noticed some failures, and talking only in airplanes models.

Please, do you can tell me the IPMS judge criteria?

I really thanks your advices.

Cheers.

Al
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Monday, August 23, 2010 - 08:18 PM UTC
I have only judged in the U.K. Nationals, so can only give this side of it. The only criteria, for any judge, is that he/she should be fair and honest. When I started, I was lucky enough to have Alan Hall as my guide, and he told me to start by getting in front, then behind, then above, and check everything for squareness; it's surprising how many models can be eliminated, immediately, because the tail and fin aren't square with each other, or wing dihedral differs on each side, or one u/c leg sticks futher forward than the other. These are all basic to modelling, but many forget them, in their eagerness to add oodles of detail. Once past that hurdle, simple construction follows, and it's surprising how many unfilled seams still slip through the modeller's gaze. With painting, unprimed areas of filler will exhibit "flat" spots under the final finish; the list of pitfalls, for the unwary modeller, is endless, and, very often, because he has missed them, he flies into a rage, when the judge passes over his model. The one thing, of which a judge must beware, is not to use his knowledge, about a particular subject, to mark down a model, since this is grossly unfair. As an example, I know that Spitfire crowbars were only red, post-war, and didn't even exist until 1941, but it would be totally wrong to use that as a means of marking a model down.
Edgar
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
Edgar, thanks very much for your answer. I tell you wath I found the last contest.

In biplanes, 5 planes, an Dr1 in 1/72, one Albatros DV in 1/72, 2 Albatros in 1/48 and a bombre in1/48. Only as an example.

For me, the DV 1/72 was superb, Build, paint and decals, rigging, all OK, but placed in 3rd!!!!
The 2nd, an Albatros in 1/48, with a wonderful wood finish, but was the Voss version, white tail, and the tail was dirt, with dust, and the modeler did not put or scratch the control horns and control wires.
And the 1st, the model had the control horns, but the modeler did not put the control wires.

The 3rd place has an magnificent lozenge decal in wings, the other painted std. camo.

The bomber had dust in nose, motor nacelles, tail and the riging not tense...

No problems in built, but in paint with out details.

This are the pics:

http://www.hobbymex.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=22200

Cheers.

Al
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 05:15 AM UTC
I too wander how sometimes these judges reach a verdict. I have seen excellent work passed over and credit given to a mediocre model with errors sticking out like a sour thumb. It leaves me scratching my head. I think is just may be a case of voting for your buddy.
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 09:36 AM UTC
IPMS used to have a handbook for judging that spelled out in detail what the
criteria was for each type of model. It did not cost very much as I remember.
It sure is a good checklist to use on your model as a build progresses and
deadlines loom.
capnjock
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 10:27 AM UTC
Thanks, I found this site with rules from 2002, I guess is an std. information without changes:

http://www.ipmsusa.org/competition_handbook/CH_index.html

Cheers.

Al
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think is just may be a case of voting for your buddy.

It was slurs, like that, which made me give up judging. Judges are human beings, with exactly the same frailties, and personal preferences, as you and me. I have known many cases (me included) where judges have declared a personal interest, since they know the builder of a particular model.
Many, apparently flawless, models exhibit fundemental errors in squareness, and basic finish, if you're prepared to get down and view them from all angles, as a judge is required to do. I well remember being cornered by irate parents (I wasn't the judge,) who wanted to know why their little boy's model hadn't been picked as junior champion, since he'd worked so hard, converting a 1/32 Tornado into the E.A.P. I pointed out that I wasn't the judge, but, even from 2 feet away, I could see a dull area, in the paintwork, where he'd evidently not covered his filler, properly, with primer. "Can't see the wood, for the trees" is a very apposite expression, when modellers are too close to their subject, and make basic errors.
Edgar
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 02:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

II have known many cases (me included) where judges have declared a personal interest, since they know the builder of a particular model.

Edgar

No slur, just factual.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC
My dear friends, I do not want to disturb with this theme, now I know is a very hard theme to talk about it, but is very nice to know both parts, the judge experiences and the modeler experience.

As Edgar honestly say, to be judge is a hard work, and we are humans, and some time, we, the modelers do not have the humildity or attitude to accept the mistakes that we did in our model.

I think the better way to turn this is to tell to modelers wath to avoid, and to try the best effort. But in Mexican modelers, just because, I guess no many modelers know the rules.

Cheers.

Al

_GOTOTOP