_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
BOB voting
whiterook
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 06:18 AM UTC
Holdfast:
I don't understand why the rest of us can't vote, whats the problem?

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 07:08 AM UTC
Hi whiterook,
The original idea was to ask all members of Armorama to vote. Simply for their favourite model from the campaign. This was just to add a little more to the overall campaign and the one with the most votes was to get an oak leaf on their ribbon (mention in despatches).
Another element to the campaign was for entrants to post pics on the RRB, which those that were able to do, did. This caused a problem over a fair vote, because those that did post on the RRB had an unfair advantage over those that didn't, or were not able to. I like the idea of a vote because it adds to the overall campaign and keeps it alive for a little longer, so I decided that it would be appropriate for the entrants to the campaign, only to vote. Whether they completed the campaign or not.
It is nice to see all the interest in the campaign, I have had several PMs giving me votes, all very encouraging :-)
Maybe it would be possible to open the voting to all aircraft modelers. Anyone have any thoughts on that? However, do remember that the voting system will involve sending your vote to a third party. I am deliberately not releasing who this third party is, until all pics are in, because some will start sending their votes and this person wont be ready for them and might wonder whats happening. He has agreed to receive the votes but, at the moment only from the entrants.
I hope that answers you question?
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:30 AM UTC
Hi Mal

I understand your concerns about keeping the vote as fair as possible.

Posting pics (even in the campaign folder) during any campaign is a two-edged sword - it builds interest in the campaign, but some may feel it gives an advantage over other contestants. Anyone believing the latter will think the BoB vote is compromised, no matter who can vote, because some of us posted a lot more pics than others...

Of course, the opposite may also be true... with "familiarity breeding contempt". For me, it was exciting to see the "dark horses" which appeared late on! (I'll name no names - for risk of spoiling the vote).

Personally, I'd go for an "open vote". Hopefully, enough time has gone by for everyone to take a fresh view of the entries. I'd just say "Hey! Look at the pics in this folder and say which model you like best in each category..."

You never know, it might convert a few more people to building aircraft - which I know was one of your reasons for the RRB post. :-)

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd just say "Hey! Look at the pics in this folder and say which model you like best in each category..."

Hi again Mal :-)

Reading over my last post just made me wonder... are we voting in categories as per the campaign? If so, we probably need to state the category in the final folder...

All the best

Rowan
whiterook
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 263 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 10:40 AM UTC
Holdfast:
Being a rookie I don't know what your going through, but I hope we can get you to change your mind---GOOD LUCK

slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 01:09 PM UTC
HF - I wasn't part of the campaign but it was a lot of fun to watch and see what people were building.
On the voting - I totally get the participants voting.

One thought if you want you could do a second vote, first one is just the participants and the winner of that would be the overall winner. The second one could be open to all Armorama members and it could be a "Users Choice" so to speak. Just my two cents. Either way its up to the members of the campaign.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 03:52 PM UTC
Hi guys, I was one of the guys who couldn't post in progress pics during the campaign but I would have no objection to having an open vote for all the guys here. I think enough time has passed for there to be no bias towards those who were able to post on the RRB. There seems to have been a lot of interest from many who didn't take part in the campaign so why not encourage it and let everyone have a vote?
Just my two cents.......
Martin
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
:-) Well this is very gratifying :-) all this interest. I always wanted to ask all the members at Armorama to vote, if for no other reason than to publicise aircraft modelling. The problem now though is, to keep the voting fair I have asked a certain member to receive the votes and to publish the results. This was based on the entrants only voting. If now 3000 members voted (or only 50) it would cause that person a headache, simply collating the votes. Of course there might only be a few votes but the amount cannot be predicted. I could re-aproach the said person to see what he thinks. Maybe there is another way to vote?

Basically I'm in favour of allowing everyone a vote (I agree with Rowan that enough time has gone by to negate any bias) the problem now is how, any ideas?

Rowan

Quoted Text

Reading over my last post just made me wonder... are we voting in categories as per the campaign? If so, we probably need to state the category in the final folder...

No the idea is that anyone that is voting decides on their own criterion, but nobody can vote for their own entry :-)
Mal
vlady
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 05:46 PM UTC
my opinion is there should be an ope vote so everybody can vote, in the aircraft forum. 4 diferent topics for each category. this is how i think it should be done
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2003 - 08:04 PM UTC
mal I think an open vote would be good. It could be done like Jim's polls on the left of the screen. That would work!!!! STUG
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

mal I think an open vote would be good. It could be done like Jim's polls on the left of the screen. That would work!!!! STUG

Mal, I agree with this idea. The Aircraft Moderator has the access to create a Poll - and could to this to allow voting. Alas, I do not have this access, I'd do it for you...

Gunnie
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 05:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Mal, I agree with this idea. The Aircraft Moderator has the access to create a Poll - and could to this to allow voting. Alas, I do not have this access, I'd do it for you...

Gunnie

I had been thinking about a poll method. Jim would need to weigh in on this to see what would be the best way to set it up. Maybe a forum thread with all the pics in it and then vote on the left in a poll or maybe put all the pics in a campaign gallery. The new gallery software he's integrating may have a voting function as well but only Jim would know.

I have access to create such a poll when needed.

I also think there should just be one poll for the entire campaign to keep things simple. I realize there a different categories for the campaign but I think is the simplest so far. Maybe a polling/voting system should be the next step in development for the Campaigns Section where you could have one poll for each category of a campaign.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:13 AM UTC
:-) I like the idea of a campaign gallery (that could be something for future campaigns as well). I also agree with a single vote. My idea is that each voter decides on their own criterion for their favourite. To allow voters to understand a little about the model and the modeller each series of pictures could have a short pre-amble. IE (1/48 Hasegawa Hurricane Mk I built OOB. Additions; PE seat belts, invisible mending thread antenna wire. Modeller is an experienced aircraft builder). It may also be relevant for the younger modellers to include their age. (obviously no names)
The ideal solution for the vote would be a survey type, but how long would that take to set up? In the meantime I will PM the person hwo excepted the responsibility of excepting the votes, to see if they are willing to except alot more.
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC
Hi all

I have to say I think a vote should be along campaign categories - otherwise what's the point of having them?

If this means mutliple "winners" - great!! If everyone comes away from a campaign feeling encouraged to go on to the next one, then Armorama, as a whole, can only benefit... :-)

I know this makes for more complicated vote-counting , but it seems fairest to me... :-)

All the best

Rowan
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:08 PM UTC
I'll email Jim with a couple of ideas and see what he has to say so we can get this knocked out.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:40 AM UTC
:-) Thanks Bryan :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:09 AM UTC
:-) Just to keep everyone up to date.
The voting is not to far away, just need to give Tomcat14 time to get his pics in, he's waiting for a friend with a camera.
Rowan

Quoted Text

I have to say I think a vote should be along campaign categories - otherwise what's the point of having them?

I tend to agree with you. The way the that the vote was looking to be conducted really precluded that. I'm happy to say though, that, due to Bryans efforts, the voting should be open to all and might be able to include categories? (Bryan) :-)
Mal
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 08:25 AM UTC
Hi Mal

It'll be neat if we can have category winners... better get the mint to start stamping some extra medals... :-)

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP