_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Biplane Assembly Jig
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 03:41 PM UTC
I am considering ordering the Aeroclub Jig and have read the numerous reviews and comments (no surprise, unaminously positive comments!)
My question; is the product suitable for the larger scales, particularly 1/32? I suspect a number of the forum members have used the jig and can confirm it's suitability for the larger scale. address at email.com
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 05:41 PM UTC
I must say that is a suspicious e-mail address and too general. Why not just post a response here?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Lance Carroll is a verified member but is unfamilar with the forum uses. So he will just need patience from us. No worries folks. Just a new guy.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Friday, September 03, 2010 - 04:04 PM UTC
I do not know if the jig is used in static models, but in rc biplanes is very common, even in plan build some times represent the guide to make the jig.

As the biplanes have diferent distances betwen wings, maybe a jig can be build with simple card, taking the distances from the directions, or from the model itself with the mounte struts glued before.

I do not know if this is a, crazy idea.

I never used the jig in any biplane, static model or rc, simply took the distances from leading and trailing edges in both wings.

Cheers.

Al
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 04:55 AM UTC
Thanks Al; I've been solving the problem, like you, without a jig. I'm hoping the one advertised recently can be applied to Plastic 1/32 Scale Kits as using blocks, paint bottles/cans, and anything else handy is a bit less then ideal! [
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 08:11 AM UTC
the Sram jig will work with 1/32 if thats any help whats the general consensus on the SRAM jig?
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 02:25 PM UTC
Lance, good news, tell us later about your plane.

Cheers.

Al
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 04:19 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply; I've read the review on the SRAM Product from 07 and it appears to be a pretty good tool however I am really keen on getting some feedback on the Aeroclub version from folks who have used one. It appears a little more precise and more "robust". The comprehensive Review in this forum answers all my concerns except the question of size.
I am venturing into 1/32 as, with age, your fingers get bigger and your eyes smaller!
Can anyone confirm the Aeroclub product works for 1/32 Scale Kits or is the SRAM Jig a better choice for me?
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for the reply; I've read the review on the SRAM Product from 07 and it appears to be a pretty good tool however I am really keen on getting some feedback on the Aeroclub version from folks who have used one. It appears a little more precise and more "robust". The comprehensive Review in this forum answers all my concerns except the question of size.
I am venturing into 1/32 as, with age, your fingers get bigger and your eyes smaller!
Can anyone confirm the Aeroclub product works for 1/32 Scale Kits or is the SRAM Jig a better choice for me?

The Aeroclub jig will work for 32 scale as well . Both are equal in valve . Just depends on how much you are willing to spend .

Can say which one would be better suited for you . I could say the Sram , but you might not like it in the end and or vs versa . What works for some , won't work for other's ......
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 08:50 AM UTC
Thanks for the input, Terri. With your comments and particularly confirmation of suitability to 1/32 scale I'm going to pursue the Aeroclub version as metal will probably weather the storm of a few bumps, bashes, or inadvertant drops a little better then a plastic one.
Really appreciate your reply/opinion as, judging by the material in your gallery etc, you've got some "time in" in this hobby and know of what you speak.

Cheers!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC
Hi Lance

If it's the physical size of the Aeroclub jig that's concerned you, these pics may help:

Here it is with Wingnut's Albatros:

I haven't a chance to use it properly yet, but I'm confident that it will be very useful for 1:32 fighters and 2-seaters.

All the best

Rowan
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 03:28 PM UTC
Rowan,
Most helpful, I am now confident with pursuing the purchase. Really appreciate your reply and the photos are encouraging. Thanks for taking the time to help.............

Cheers
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 09, 2010 - 05:35 PM UTC
Does anyone know where the Aeroclub jig can be purchased? Every place I've looked was either out of stock or not carried.
capnjock
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hi Capnjock

I bought mine direct from Aeroclub a few months ago. They're advertising it in the latest issue of Windsock, so I presume it's in stock again.

All the best

Rowan
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 02:33 PM UTC
Rowan, thank you for the info. I will keep trying.
capnjock
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 - 04:14 PM UTC
I was able to contact John at Aeroclub at ( [email protected] ) with specific questions on the jig (1:32 compatable??) He was prompt and very helpful (replied personally with all sorts of info and specs) ;

I have ordered a "pre-built" version which he will assemble in the next several days and "will construct it with 1:32 in mind." (longer lateral & longitudinal "screw - rods" I believe) I ordered by returning his EMail via the Business Site as listed in Windsock ([email protected])

He seems very busy trying to keep the company going and re-vamping after the passing of his business partner.

Been a long road however I'm confident that with all the info and comments I've recieved on this forum that the product will be well worth the investment.

Hope this is helpful. I am forwarding a personal EMail with some illustrations he sent me on to you; may be of use to you .

Cheers,

Lance (Kugar 39)
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 - 12:36 PM UTC
Thank you, I did receive the email and will continue the effort
capnjock
 _GOTOTOP