_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What's Your Favorite Scale?
Enigma1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 12:10 PM UTC
I've decided to lay off of ships for awhile and thought I would try my hand at a few aircraft. Many years ago I built several 1/48 and 1/32 planes but like I said that was many years ago and the hobby has changed dramatically. So my question is what is your favorite scale and why?
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 03:02 PM UTC
My favorite scale for small to medium-sized aircraft is 1/48 and 1/72 for larger aircraft. In my early modeling days (1960s, 70s), I used to think "the bigger the better" but as I got older, my stash grew, time to build got less, and the reality of limited display space hit me. I eventually shifted everything down a scale. Aircraft I had in 1/32 got sold/ traded and replaced with 1/48, and big 1/48 kits (as in Monogram bombers) got exchanged for 1/72. The explosion in popularity of 1/48 scale from most kit manufacturers over the years has also contributed to my fondness for that size.

I find 1/48 to be the perfect compromise in size vs detailing opportunities for most aircraft. I like all eras and types but tend to build mostly WWII single engine a/c. When I decide to tackle a bigger a/c, like a WWII bomber, I go with 1/72 mostly for size considerations as well as time to build since they are much more complex than a fighter.

Lately, though, I have allowed a few 1/32 scale kits to sneak back into my stash in the form of the incredible Wingnut Wings WWI kits.

Cheers,
Eric

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 05, 2010 - 10:53 PM UTC
1/48

It gives the widest range of models with great detail, there are a growing range of AFV and soft vehicles around to combine with the planes in a diorama, its not too big so that my final aim of building a complete airfield is not totally ridiculous...
Mohawk73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 01:15 AM UTC
When i was a lot younger i used to build in /72 so i could play with it and use it together with my soldiers in /72 and trains in /87.
Now i prefer /48 because my eyes and fingers can't manage the small parts anymore. I have never seriously tried /32 or /35. But perhaps in the future i will.
 _GOTOTOP