_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Armor modeler goes F-14A Tomcat...
Jurjen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
AeroScale: 30 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi Guys!

Once in a while it is a good thing to change your modelling subjects, and this time I'm going back from where I started my modelling hobby. Airplanes! Normally I build armor models with my main focus on the Soviet modern era. But in some way my inspiration decreased so I decided it is time for something new. I always wanted to build a Tomcat, (mostly inspired by TopGun, duh ). So I bought Hasegawa's offering, the VF-213 Blacklions..

So there we go.. for a hardcore armor modeler like me, aviation modelling is very different then what I'm used to. There is hardly any room for errors. Mud on an aircraft is not going to work, if you know I mean..

So what I have done sofar? Trying to fit the Aires cockpit in the 'hull' (I'm not familiar with aviation jargon..) After some time spent with sanding, test fitting, sanding, and some more.........sanding it finally fits. Not an easy job to do so!

As you can see, it is only the basic fit and some work is still needed to close the gaps.
If you have some tips, comments or whatsoever, let me know! It's a very different discipline so everything is welcome...

Cheers,
Jurjen
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC
Looks like a very nice start...

Here a link that might be of service:

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2001/f14cockpitdwa_1.htm

IIRC it mentions (or a paige it links to) that the wheel bays are a bit tricky... Haven't built the kit myself (yet).

Cheers,

Harm
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Monday, September 20, 2010 - 12:44 PM UTC
Having built the kit I can confirm the wheel bays and intakes are a bit tricky..But you look like you have awhile to go before you get there...

Welcome to the modern forums Me and Joe are always lurking around somewhere and i will stop in from time to time to check it out.You will find a lot of help here.cant wait to see it take flight

Good choice with the aries tub the whole resin pc.is beautifully done.
Jurjen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 04:57 AM UTC
Hi Guys!

thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I haven't been able to work on the Tomcat. I did ordered the Aires wheelbays, so I'm very curious!

Thanks and I will keep you updated
Jurjen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, October 07, 2010 - 08:53 PM UTC
Hi guys!

Did anyone had as much trouble as I trying to fit the wheelbays? The bays seems to be too 'thick' to fit between the lower- and upper wingparts. From the innder side of the left part in the photo below you can see through the resin. Maybe I have sanded it too much, but is was the only option. Is this commonly known with the wheelbay set? Fitting the cockpit is easy comparing to this..

I will keep you updated
Jurjen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 12:07 AM UTC
As promised

The wheelbays are in place. I have been busy with closing some seams and gaps. It is almost done! I made a small start with the intake trunks. Their fit to the lower fuselage is as bad as it is described in many of the build-logs on the internet.. But first things first, here are some photos.

Cheers!

redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 12:38 AM UTC
Jurjen,

That's great progress on a really tricky build kit. I built it years ago so really appreciate how much work and effort you are putting into this build.

I will watch this with interest - keep up the great work so far!

Gary
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 10:19 AM UTC
Hello Jurjen,
Man that really is looking great...yes sir! I wish I had those wheel bays last year they really look nice. As for the gaps well it wouldn’t be modeling without them, heck how would we learn anything without them right. This is turning into one tough Ally Cat. Looking forward to the next posting.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Jurjen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi Gary and Joe!

Thanks! Yesterday was a beautiful day to do some modelling, nice weather, cold beer, good music. You know what I mean!

I finished the wheelbays and made a small start on the intake trunks. I also glued the upper- and lower fuselage together. But I had some difficulties because:
1. both parts didn't fit well because of the wheelbays. So I glued a small strip of plastic to connect both parts.
2. the upper fuselage was 'wider' then the lower one, so there was (not matching?) seam. Doh! I filled it with tamiya putty which is at the moment set to dry. I hope it works!

I also worked on the canopy. I removed the seam (first time doing so..) with some tips given at the various topics here. I'm now at the stage that some scratches are still visible, but the polishing compound is not able to remove them? Maybe I just need to try to dip it in Klear (if I can find it in the shops...)

I also did the seats, true little gems to my opinion! I hope I have some spare time left this week to do a new update. We will see

Cheers!

SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 10, 2010 - 11:25 PM UTC
Looks good, Jurjen I agree with you on the seat. A real little beauty.

Looking forward to see more.
GALILEO1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 - 03:50 AM UTC
Looking absolutely great, Jurjen!

Always wanted to build a Tomcat so your build may just be what I need to go out an get me one!

Looking forward to more updates...

Rob
Jurjen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi Jesper and Rob!

Thanks guys! I just came back from holiday and the Tomcat is calling me, I will try to make some progress this week. The fit on the engine bays is nearly done. I will let you know!

Rob, still hanging out here? go out and buy one!!

cheers,
Jurjen
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 11:25 AM UTC
Love the under belly work you got going on, and can’t wait to see the seat painted up…that’s one sweet seat.

Happy Modeling,
Joe
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 01:02 PM UTC
I eagerly await an update sir
Tonphil1960
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 11:06 PM UTC
Jurjen, Nice work so far on your new subject ! I am doing the same thing, Armor and ship modeler going over to aircraft also ! Yes indeed aircraft needs to be a much neater build and "clean" not easy coming from Armor.
Wishing us both success with our new endeavors. I have a RA 5 C Vigilate coming in the mail, might do a test build before tackling this one !
Good Luck,

Regards Tony
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 12:29 AM UTC
How's the cat coming jurjen?
Tojo72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
AeroScale: 238 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 02:48 AM UTC
cockpit looks great.looks like you have a lot of work to do,looking foward to your progress.
Jurjen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 02:54 AM UTC
Hi Justin!

I have been very busy with the Tomcat. At the moment I have exams so I haven't been able to show some progress. But what I have done sofar:

-Painted the cockpit
-rescribing the fuselage
-finally able to position the aires cockpit.
Next step is to attach the front section to the main section. Is has not a good fit so I need to work on that. Tomorrow I will show the progress! (and finaly done with the tests..)

Cheers!
youngtiger1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 534 posts
AeroScale: 47 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 - 07:26 PM UTC
Jur jen,

Looks like your onto a great start. Those aries wheel well and cockpit look awesome but the fit of their set is a whole another story. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Mike
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC
Keep going Jurgen - looking good so far !

Gary
Jurjen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 - 07:35 AM UTC
Hi Guys!

I have finally been able to take some photos. Albeit just to show you I'm still working on it, (very slow though ).

Please let me know your thoughts!
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, December 03, 2010 - 04:03 PM UTC
you are definitely having the same problems i did.But you look like you are over coming them well!keep it up its looking good and starting to come together
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 01:22 AM UTC
Jurjen,

Some great modelling skills here mate! If anything, your efforts just show how desperate we modellers are for a new (well fitting) 1/48 F-14. This Hasegawa kit is now about 25 years old .......and it shows. I built it when it first came out (showing MY age as well now!) and even then I thought it was an awful fitting kit. With mold wear over the years it must have got even worst.

Surely Tamiya San could make a state of the art one in 1/48 and sell them by the ship load!

Keep going Jurjen as I am sure this is going to be great when you have finished it!

Cheers!
Gary
Jurjen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
Yo!

The fusalage is almost done!! Whoehooo!

To put on a first coat of primer is very exiting, I'm very happy with the results. I did some rescribing on the panellines and I redrilled (a little) the rivets. It really pops out, maybe a bit overscale but nevertheless convincing to my opnion. There are still some minor errors which I need to correct. When those are done you can expect a new update. Next month I'm in Beijing so I can't show any progress

Cheers and happy holidays!
Jurjen
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
Looking very good, I have to say....

I'll keep this thread in mind for the Tomcat campaign this spring...

Cheers,

Harm
 _GOTOTOP