_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Testors Dullcoat Lacquer
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:45 AM UTC
Hi. I have a couple questions corncerning the Dullcoat Lacquer, as I've never used it.

Firstly, Can you spray it with the airbrush? And if so, what do you use to thin it with? Would Toluol work?

Also, will it destroy the 'Future' top coat on the model or would using toluol as a thinner have adverse effects on a plastic model?

I know this is the place to ask, and I thank you in advance for any help.I'm within a day or two of using it to complete a campaign entry.

Thankyou. Guy
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 04:03 AM UTC
I use it with no problems. Thin it it with Testor's Model Master thinner (the smelly stuff in the black can)or Humbrol thinner. No problems over Future.

Cheers!
chuk
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 05:20 AM UTC
As the name says, Lacquer is what I use. I just sprayed it over Future on a project I'm workin on. I like it better than the acrylic flat. I use the laquer from Home Depot.
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 08:48 AM UTC
If you mean the Testors Dullcoat that comes in the spray can, you can use it right out of the can, however decanting it into a bottle to use in your airbrush will give you better control.

And once decanted, it should be thin enough to spray in the airbrush, no extra thinning required.
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hi. I would like to thank you all for your kind reply's.

I actually ran a search on Aeroscale referencing my questions. Not suprisingly, I found that others have asked the very same questions as long back as mid-2000's. All my queries have now been answered.

Anyway, for your info I have the bottled stuff, and have decided not to use it just yet. I'm happy enough with the way my project turned out, and will keep the Dullcoat for something else.

Thanks, all of you. Guy
beachcomber_bob
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 09:38 PM UTC
Both Testors finishes come in spray cans, so you don't have any 'trial & error' with thinners to get the right consistency, or messing about with airbrushes. Their advice is to apply 'Dullcote' as a final layer over a layer of their gloss, but I get just fine results laying down thin coats of dullcote straight onto enamels (or water based acrylics). Remember - very thin coats, otherwise it will start to take on a satin appearance. The first time I used Dullcote, it was so matt that I thought it had stripped the varnish right off!
 _GOTOTOP