_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Kids on the Block
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, September 24, 2010 - 05:52 PM UTC
Every now and again, the neighborhood kids come over to see what old cranky is up to. They like it here because I'm a fly tyer, play with R/C, and spend more and more time with my new favorite hobby, model building. This evening was no different. I was working away on my EOD model, and a little boy shows up with his sister.

They came into my man-cave, made a heck of a racket and fiddled with everything; just generally acted like kids. Soon enough, the boy discovered my stash, and yelled, "Can I have one?" My big blabber mouth started working before my brain did and I told him to pick one. I actually thought he would pick an egg plane (kids like those), I may have even prayed.

No. His little head kept tilting back until he was looking up to the top of the closet, and to my disbelief he chose my favorite Catalina V. I could not retreat and save face, so I had to bring it down for surrender.

Just because he got one, his sister had to pick one too. As stricken with anxiety as I was, I had to let her choose. She walked out packing my Tamiya P-47, and a tube of alphiletic glue.

Before they could make it home, I phoned up mom, told her the story and asked if she could help them out with the building. Then they could come back, and I would help with the paint. The deal was done.

There is a moral to this story. I was not sad that they chose a couple of my favorite stash, I was surprised! Caught off guard!

Where do you draw the line in helping a child to become a potential aircraft modeler? Does it really matter what you have to give?

I hope they don't tell their friends!

Guy
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 09:52 AM UTC
Because of this you made two children happy and gave them the chance to build excellent kits that will minimize their frustrations. Kudos to to Guy. Most impressive. Model on in your community!
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 01:19 PM UTC
Im moving in beside guy and raiding his stash
mauserman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,183 posts
AeroScale: 40 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 06:02 AM UTC
Guy, what a great story. How long though before the rest of the neighborhood learns of your stash?! But hey, the little ones are the future of the hobby and you're doing your part in keeping it going. Way to go!

Cary
mtnflyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 394 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 10:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. How long though before the rest of the neighborhood learns of your stash?! !

Cary

Its 3;00 in the afternoon. I'm thinkinking they get out from school at 3:30. I suppose I should lay out some razor wire and some landmines. My big, mean dog pays no attention to those under 4' tall and lets them through. I think they suckered him with a bone.

Ahh! Maybe I'll just let them in. After all, they are just kids.
 _GOTOTOP