_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What's the deal over at HyperScale
DavidHill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

I’m having problems over at HyperScale...yesterday I created an account ( “Plane Talking” board )...validated my e-mail but still I cannot post!...I did find out my account must be “approved” by the site owner...??????...I want to join a message board not apply for a loan!!!!..I frequent many different boards from scale modeling to Muscle cars and never had this happen...just wondered if anyone here has had the same experience...I apologize if posting this here is inappropriate and would ask to have this post deleted if so!

Thanks,
Dave
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC
Hi David,

Though I'm not registred at Hyperscale, I have had the same "problem" with other forums. You shouldn't take it personaly, it is more a technical issue, probably to avoid spam or something like that. You should be "approved" soon I guess.

Jean-Luc
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 08:00 AM UTC
I've been thru this somewhere. An actual human had to finish the approval cycle, it wasn't fully automated. Don't know if that's the real story, but sometimes assuming incompetence is easier than assuming malice.
pigsty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,226 posts
AeroScale: 640 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 09:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't know if that's the real story, but sometimes assuming incompetence is easier than assuming malice.

Why assume either? It's just a standard procedure for pretty much any well-regulated forum, many of which are run on a shoestring by nice people giving up their time and charging us nothing.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 10:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

sometimes assuming incompetence is easier than assuming malice.

It is, in fact, total competence; if you had any idea how many spam merchants, or virus despatchers, attempt to gain access to websites, and have to be weeded out by those who run the forum, you wouldn't make such fatuous comments. Dave, the "owners" of Hyperscale are just ensuring that your E-mail (and you) is genuine, before letting you in; you'll find the same thing if you visit Britmodeller, ARC, LSP, Locate & Cement, and probably many others.
Edgar
DavidHill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses!...I can appreciate their efforts to fight spam, that’s the whole point of registration...but it’s been two days and I still can’t post...I realize many board owners have full-time jobs, families, etc and it may be difficult for them to babysit a message board...all the more need to maybe appoint people or invite volunteers to help moderate the site...sorry for the rant!

Dave
Removed by original poster on 09/26/10 - 12:28:07 (GMT).
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 01:29 AM UTC
It's a fairly unmoderated forum and often flame wars start in their lounge then spill into the forum. Members got suspended or banned so the owner added that level of verification to make sure a banned or suspended member didn't rejoin with a new username and continue the fight.

Funny thing is that the main troll who caused most of this passed away some time ago although some minor skirmishes can still be found.
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 12:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses!...I can appreciate their efforts to fight spam, that’s the whole point of registration...but it’s been two days and I still can’t post...I realize many board owners have full-time jobs, families, etc and it may be difficult for them to babysit a message board...all the more need to maybe appoint people or invite volunteers to help moderate the site...sorry for the rant!

Dave

which again underlines what faboulous service we get from Aeroscale and kitmaker in general.

Honestly, i don't have problems with hyperscale. Aeroscale is "home " for me and i rarely peek at any other site

drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

sometimes assuming incompetence is easier than assuming malice.

It is, in fact, total competence; if you had any idea how many spam merchants, or virus despatchers, attempt to gain access to websites, and have to be weeded out by those who run the forum, you wouldn't make such fatuous comments. Dave, the "owners" of Hyperscale are just ensuring that your E-mail (and you) is genuine, before letting you in; you'll find the same thing if you visit Britmodeller, ARC, LSP, Locate & Cement, and probably many others.
Edgar

There are other ways to do this than a manual process making people wait for two days. To some extend, this may show that these sites are still using older concepts and are, like so many sites, suffering from "development fatigue" and are not keeping up with new possibilities.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 10:19 PM UTC
I love Hyperscale, it's the reason that I'm here I won't recount the reason, but I was new to forums back then and the reply I received to a simple question meant that I swore never to post there again. Moving on a few years and having my Miracle Masks reviewed there I wanted to register so that I could answer any queries etc that might arise, I'm still waiting to get validated after 2 years or more! The only time that I visit now is when a customer informs me that they have completed a model, using my masks, and give me a link to it on Hypertension.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 12:05 AM UTC
I visit occasionally to see whats occuring over there.
This morning I found someone who's lifted a whole bunch of photos from my P-47 site and posted them on there without crediting the source and is recieving great feedback.
Nice start to the day.... not, but quite amusing really, because usually when somebody links to the P-47 site on Aeroscale it usually attracts a remark along the mines of "why go there?, everything you need is on HS"
Nige
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hi Nige

You should post words to that effect in the thread with the nicked photos.

All the best

Rowan
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 01:48 AM UTC
By the time my membership was validated I'd have forgotten what I joined to complain about
Nige
 _GOTOTOP