_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Eduard Albatros questions
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hi Gang

I browsed a bit through my stack and I found a few more started projects that would be good candidates for side projects. But I know the Eduard kits have a few issues so I would like to ask what I will need to correct on these kits.

No.1 is the Albatros D.III LE (1104) seems the kit was not updated as this years new profipack has the same sprues. So what about the wheels (smaller than in the Alb. D.II kit) and the u/c legs? any other pitfalls to look out for?

No.2 is Abatros D.II (8081) Profipack. I have seen there is the Black Dog set, but do I need that and again are there things to correct?

I am sorry if I asked questions that have been answered a thousand times, but I just do not build WWI kits that often ....

all the best

Steffen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 09:22 AM UTC
The only things that really need attention on the "second molding" of the Eduard D.III (in any issue) - molded in tan plastic, is the kit propellers have the mounting lug on the wrong side and the pilot's step is molded too far back. (Though the instructions all seem to note this.) The landing gear is still 3mm too short. There are other smaller concerns to deal with if your doing an earl or late version but they are readily apparant.

I have the Eduard Alb. D.II under construction and the Gavia Alb. D.I as well (Same Eduard plastic with resing items for the backdating). More on that later.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 09:38 AM UTC
Thanks a lot Stephen, so I should lengthen the legs, but whats with the small wheels are these o.k.?

all the best

Steffen
P.S. I want to do Emil Schäfers Albatros D.II (I think it is LVG but to be sure: with the "ears" i.e. side coolers) of KaSta 11

and

Josef Mai's blue tailed D.III (as per decals in the box)
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 01:30 PM UTC
The wheels in the D.II kit are fine and in scale .

The wheels in the D.III kit are still to small and need replacement . That is the only item holding me up with the ones I have in the stash , no replacements yet . You would think Eduard would have re-vamp their molds to have the right laenght for the landing struts and proper size of wheels , but they keep re-releasing the kit with the same flaws ...oh-well .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 03:30 PM UTC
Maybe we could get Master Casters or Freightdog to consider doing AM sets? Aires and Black Dog (D.II set that can be used on the D.III) used to have a set, with control surfaces (ailerons/rudder I think) in resin.

I wish that their next re-release of this kit will contain a small correction sprue for landing gear legs, spinner, and a fuel tank to fill the gap at the back of the engine bay.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 03:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe we could get Master Casters or Freightdog to consider doing AM sets?

Rowan of Pheon models was talking about doing a set but haven't heard any more news on it .
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 03:38 PM UTC
I won't hold my breath for that. There have been enough people complain already maybe its time we went to the issue ourselves?
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 07:08 PM UTC
Thank you Terri and Stephen!!!

I ordered two Black Dog sets for the D.II yesterday, so I can use the kit wheels for the Revell D.V that lend its wheels to my other D.V and use the sets for the D.II and D.III respectively.

What about the legs on the D.II do these have to be lengthened?

Thanks again!

all the best

Steffen
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 08:20 PM UTC
Steffen

Ref the DII

I have the 8080 kit, likely pretty much the same moldings though. Laying parts over the Windsock plans in the (a) DI/DII datafile & the (b) Windsock Albatros fighters special (Not saying that these are correct as I have a belief that their representation of the DIII interior is wrong but thats another issue) That there are a few discrepancies apart from those Stephen pointed out.

The wheels may be a tiny fraction under scale, the UC legs I'm unsure of, it was a quick check.

The fuselage is too long by (a) @2mm (b) @1.5mm. the discrepancy appears to be forwads of the cockpit the gap between engine and noes of the cowling is too long but correcting this of course makes issues further back with locations of details such as doors and vents and panel lines and of course theres no oil & fuel tanks to fill it either though its out of sight(ish)

The fuselage is @ 1-1.25mm too deep too according to (a)

Flying surfaces match quite well, very well mostly to the plans in (a) the only thing that stands out is the tips of the airlerons are a little too rounded, the curve of the tip on the plans being a smaller radius so giving a slightly 1.25mm extention to the curved trailing tip.

the control arms and their corresponding slot in the upper wing are missing too (rather an unexpected ommission considering the otherwise beautiful quality of the kit.

Tail skid fin seems to have the wrong profile, its too long according to (a)by 2.5mm and too long according to (b) by 1.5mm also in this plan its 1mm too shallow at the rear. My kit part is 25mm long across its top edge. Now this of course could be a LVG peculiarity (I would love it if someone could clarify this?)

All that said though it looks a beautiful kit. The undercarriage, cabanes etc may be a little chunky but its more strength over accuracy issues there I think.

Plus all these discrepancies wont detract from what will make a lovely model once built, just as all the fuss about Bf 109 fuselage dims didnt stop me building the trop kit and thoroughly enjoying it. Compared to the DV kit and some of the lesser quality Albatros kits around it really is beautiful as is the later DIII kits by eduard though I see it has the same fuselage dimension issues as the DII though the tailskid fin is the slightly only long it is too shallow by 1.5mm according to the DIII windsock datafile but is equally short according to (b).

Keith

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 08:33 PM UTC
Hi Keith

Many thanks for your reference check and sharing your findings!!!!!

I think I can live with the fuselage length. The Black Dog Set has ailerons with arms, so I can correct that with the set I ordered. i'll check/compare the tail skid though, because a wrong sit of the aircraft is something that would bother me.

I think I will start with the D.III because despite it needs more work I have already the markings I want (the decals from the Kagero JaSta 11 booklet are not really helpful for Schäfer's machine as the circles look wrong in size and those for the elevators are missing).

Thanks again!

greets

Steffen
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 08:42 PM UTC
Steffan

Yes as I said, even with these errors they make wonderful examples. Only nitpickers (no rivets to count so can't be one of those ) will pickup on, and to be truthful it was only because I had the books and kits close by I actually tried. I've seen no mention of these in anyone elses build blogs.

All things said we are all thankful and grateful Eduard and others bring us these little treasures to build.

Good luck with the builds and keep us posted.

Keith
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, September 26, 2010 - 09:08 PM UTC
Thanks again Keith!

may i bother you with another question? I have the Pheon JG II decal set and this includes a jig for the Eduard kit. I am unsure if this corrects the length issue or is just a building help ... do you by chance know?

all the best

Steffen
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 12:44 AM UTC
To be honest, I havent a clue Steffan, sorry

K
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 10:07 AM UTC
Ressurecting this old thread for a comparison of the early 80xx series issue wheels to the 81xx series. These are fine resin copies made for me by modeler Cameron Lynch (good fellow).

_GOTOTOP