_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix 1/48 Ju-87B1 Stuka
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 246 posts
AeroScale: 234 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 01:07 AM UTC
i have always wanted to build a Stuka, but out of deference to my Grandfather who suffered at the hands of them at Dunkirk, never really got round to it. So when Airfix reissued their B1 in 1/48 it seemed a good opportunity to get one done. Will be nuilt out of the box, with the only addition of Eduard seatbeats.

Done so far:-

Cockpit done, no added detail so it will be built the canopy closed so not a lot will be seen.

Instrument panel, highlighted with Mike Grant Decals for the dials, set in Klear.

And this is where it is at so far. Once the instrument panel is installed the engine cowl will go on and hopefully a coat of primer, but it is too cold and damp in the workshop today for paint, so maybe tomorrow.

Comments welcome good, bad and ugly!

Steve
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i have always wanted to build a Stuka, but out of deference to my Grandfather who suffered at the hands of them at Dunkirk, never really got round to it. So when Airfix reissued their B1 in 1/48 it seemed a good opportunity to get one done. Will be nuilt out of the box, with the only addition of Eduard seatbeats.

Done so far:-

Cockpit done, no added detail so it will be built the canopy closed so not a lot will be seen.

Instrument panel, highlighted with Mike Grant Decals for the dials, set in Klear.

And this is where it is at so far. Once the instrument panel is installed the engine cowl will go on and hopefully a coat of primer, but it is too cold and damp in the workshop today for paint, so maybe tomorrow.

Comments welcome good, bad and ugly!

Steve

That's really interestng
Now when I'll build a STUKA , I'll try to find markings for Dunkrik 1940

Cheers Nick
badwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 11:03 AM UTC
Looking good so far, i just got my hands on the italeri JU87B and for £25.00 etched seat belts included it knocks spots off every other 1/48th JU87B on the market.
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 05:55 AM UTC
Hi all,

A small update today, I have the bulk of the beast together and primed..

Preshaded...

And the first top colour of RM71 on...

Underside RLM65 is also done, but because I have only snapped these quick with my camera-phone it doesn't show to well, so I will post them later. Just letting the top coat dry for 24 hours now before masing the splinter and appling the RLM70 tomorrow.

Keith. Re the Italeri kit, I have seen it and I'm not sure it justifies being double the price of the Airfix. I may get one as I have someone who wants one built, but I may just buy another Airfix, add an Aires cockpit set and Eduard belts and it will still be cheaper. We will see though!

Comments welcome as always

Steve
NickZour
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
AeroScale: 1,241 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 09:03 AM UTC
I think it's very nice until now
Something I saw on the camera pictures, is that you should take care of the white balance & use better lighting (natural with clouds it's the best for photograph)

Cheera Nick
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 02:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it's very nice until now
Something I saw on the camera pictures, is that you should take care of the white balance & use better lighting (natural with clouds it's the best for photograph)

Cheera Nick

Normally I would, but I didn't have my camera handy so had to use my phone camera. Plus it was chucking it down with rain so indoors was the only option.

Thanks
Steve
FalkeEins
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 868 posts
AeroScale: 690 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 08:37 PM UTC

looking good Steve ...and those are pretty decent pics for a phone camera !
I agree that the new Italeri 48th kits are over-priced. The Airfix Stuka is perfectly adequate for the job at half the price ! (and mine came with a 35% discount...)
Mohawk73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 08:38 PM UTC
Looks good. What paint do you use?
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 02:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks good. What paint do you use?

Halfords (car spares) grey plastic primer, and Xtracrylics for the colours. I use these as they are pretty accurate colourwise and can be sprayed straight from the bottle without thinning.
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 15, 2010 - 04:29 PM UTC
Another small update,....

Splinter camo done....

And a couple of photos of the underside..

Paint chipping will be toned down a bit, but not much, I am attempting to depict an aircraft from late in the Battle of Britain, and by August these planes were pretty well beat up. Decals on next, then to the fiddly bits...

AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 01:02 AM UTC
Decals on:-

Just need to source a swastka for the tail and then on to the weathering...
Mohawk73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 01:32 AM UTC
Xtradecal has a sheet with swastikas in different sizes.
AIRGUNNER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 - 09:07 AM UTC
It's been a while, but had a couple of days free and managed to get the beast done:-

Not a bas kit, the old Airfix. Raised panel lines are not too bad, and there are plenty of rivets, but it looks ok. A word on the transparencies though, they are probably the best fit I have seem away from a Tamiya kit. When on really easily and are very thin. All the cockpit detail is clear through them.

Hope you like.

Steve
 _GOTOTOP