_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Tamiya F16
Smokeyr67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 145 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 05:59 AM UTC
Hi Guys,
Firstly let me apologise for not searching the forum, but I couldnt find the search button!

Anyhow, I;m getting back into modelling, after a couple of years off, and the first box I grabbed from my stack was tamiyas 1/48 F-16cj. In the box was the Eduard etch and mask, but I lost my paint chart.

The help I need is;

1. Are there any new, nice aftermarket parts for this kit.

2. What paints should I use (i.e. best match for fs numbers)

3. where is that search button?

Thanks folks, hope I've not been to much of a pain in the butt

Smokey
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 12:47 PM UTC
1.aires makes a lot of great aftermarket parts

2.If you get aftermarket decals these generally provide a paint chart.
You can also search aircraft research center.com they have a lot of good walkarounds and other information on the birds.

3.search button that's easy look up

And know your not a pain in the butt that is what this site is for learning
I'm actually surprised none of the viper mechanics have spoken up seems to be a lot of them here
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 07:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,
Firstly let me apologise for not searching the forum, but I couldnt find the search button!

Anyhow, I;m getting back into modelling, after a couple of years off, and the first box I grabbed from my stack was tamiyas 1/48 F-16cj. In the box was the Eduard etch and mask, but I lost my paint chart.

The help I need is;

1. Are there any new, nice aftermarket parts for this kit.

2. What paints should I use (i.e. best match for fs numbers)

3. where is that search button?

Thanks folks, hope I've not been to much of a pain in the butt

Smokey

Welcome back to the hobby!

PAINTS: The best matches paints I’ve found are the Model Master Enamels or the Mr. Color lacquers; the later being the best performing paint on the market, hands down. Make sure you kniow what era/time frame you are modeling you F-16 in, as that’ll dictate a 3 or 2 tone gray scheme.

AFTERMARKET: the best and most accurate accessories as follows:
- Wheel wells: Aires; though be prepared for fit problems with the intake halves and the nose wheel well insert!
- GE Exhaust: Shawn Hull aka Shull24
- Pratt Exhaust (For Block 42/52): Aires
- Cockpit: Aires, though understand that they used the “made for Hasegawa F-16” cockpit as the basis of the Tamiya cockpit replacement, so there are some significant dimensional/accuracy errors. Ditto the Black Box cockpit. Non AM company has produced a cockpit “specifically” designed for the Tamiya kit as of yet.
There are a host of other items out there, like wheels, Sniper Pods (Shull again, the best), various weapons, etc… just search the net.

I strongly suggest not using the Eduard PE sets, especially in the cockpit. It’s counterproductive to shave off all that exceptional raised console and instrument panel detail, in place of flat unconvincing color PE plating. The kit cockpit is much more realistic and it’s in “3D”. I also found the majority of the exterior, wheel well, and exhaust PE details to be weak and in many respect, quite inaccurate. I did like the Eduard PE ladder though; about the only PE set I’d recommend for the Tamiya Viper kits.

Note that 1st quarter 11, there will be Seamless NSI (Small Mouth) and MCID (Big Mouth) Intakes for 48th Tamiya F-16s; as well as a few other surprises….

Mike V
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Friday, October 01, 2010 - 10:01 PM UTC
Take a look at www.1999.co.jp (English page of course). There are scans for the instructions of most of the kits sold, you'll definitely find Tamiya's F-16CJ as well!
Smokeyr67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 145 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC
Hi again,

Thanks for your replies guys

Yep, I should have looked up to search

I should have waited for your replies until I shaved my cockpit (said the Bishop to the Nun) but it looks good enough for my 5 yr olds shelf.

I'll probably just get a tail pipe for it, the kit decals look ok, and I'm not looking to do any major surgery now (too scared lol). I'll add a little wire in the gear bays, maybe the cockpit too, but thats about all.

Thanks for your input, I'll be be after more when I buy that 1/32 F-16 T'Bird

Smokey

_GOTOTOP