_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Showbird 1:72 Decals now available
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 02, 2010 - 04:56 PM UTC

"Just to let everybody know, the first sheet of the AEF Showbirds has been released. First sheet covers "Flag Bus" and "Diamond Dick". Every set comes with a detailed builders guide written by Stephen Gilbert that tells you what parts to use from the Eduard Kit and any corrections that need to be made to build an accurate representation. He has provided me with this for every one of the Showbirds and is getting me even more accurate information to get these sheets as accurate as possible.

Their second set covers the A.E.F. Showbirds. "Shamrock" flown by Lt. Dawson and "Barber Pole" flown by Lt. "Red" Outcault. Color placement and color guide included.

Again, I want to say Thank you to everybody that helped and continues to help get these markings available to market.

Mark Tutton
Starfighter Decals"
http://www.starfighter-decals.com/

About the Showbirds. . .
This is the mount of Lt. Reed Chambers when he commanded the 94th Aero in the winter of 1918 -1919. I did mine from images that I have at the archive where I volunteer. Yes, S.16546 was one of several Spad XIII types flown by Lt. Reed Chambers while he commanded the 94th Aero Post war 1919. During the winter of 1918 -1919 and the occupation after the Armistice the men of the 94th passed the long winter months preparing for the Third Army Carnival to be held in early 1919. There were many livery scheme but the "flag bus" was Chamber's S.16546. They were called "The Showbirds".

As they applied the paint it was found to have a negative effect on the flying characteristics.

So they stopped after finishing the pilot's lower left wing undersurface. The undersurfaces of the top wing and lower pilot's right wing were left in the factory finish of "ecru" similar too clear doped linen but actually a painted finish.

For more on the story of the 94th Showbirds see;
Cross & Cockade Intl. 29 #1 1998 “To Capture the Rainbow. . . 94 th Showbirds” by some plugger here abouts.
 _GOTOTOP