_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
clear coat on wood prop?
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 557 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 02:34 PM UTC
I have finally finished my Nieuport 17, I have two props that I think have an authentic looking wood grain for this plane, the color is right so I feel no need to do the clear tamiya red/orange finish.what would look better, clear coat gloss,semi gloss or matte? I really have quite bit of respect for anyone that can put a biplane together, this was a tough build
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 03, 2010 - 02:44 PM UTC
Most French propellers were usually given a opaque red brown shellac. This was a solid red brown coating and wood grain simply did not show through. Another method was a dark brown stain and a top coat gloss.

An original colour image from WWI. I found a huge load of them at the host website. Though this is the only avaition subject offered it seems. The narrow cheveron on the Nieuport 17 fuselage appears red and white. Although color photography was around prior to 1903, the Lumière brothers, Auguste and Louis, patented the process in 1903 and developed the first color film in 1907. The French army was the primary source of color photos during the course of World War One.
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 04:30 AM UTC
how accurate is this prop? it has lighter and darker shades with a reddish brown shellac applied over a light oak?
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 04:38 AM UTC
this prop color looks like the pic you posted? amazing photo of the 17, I had come by it previously but thought it was color tinted, thanks for helping me out, I really enjoy modeling this subject.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 04:41 AM UTC

The left tip of the prop you display shows the light and dark laminations through the fading dark stain / gloss. These were probably ash or birch with walnut. If you ever get the chance to view a image of a turning prop at low revs you will see the distortion tht make the prop look like it is bending. The prop does flex and the laminations are stronger and more economic than a single piece of wood.
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 05:03 AM UTC
the second prop pic I posted(caudron)seems to look like the nieuport 17 pic you posted and seems to fit your description of the second method you mention "dark brown stain and a a top gloss coat" I am going to go with that the caudron prop seems to not be as faded by time.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 05:11 AM UTC

This one is shellaced.
doppelganger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Idaho, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 2010 - 05:41 AM UTC
you think I would know the difference between stain and shellac,confused, ok, not anymore.I will go with the red/brown shellac.not sure what I was looking at in regards to the prop pics.....have a good day, its raining here in Boise, good time to work on models.
 _GOTOTOP