_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
Kinetic Models 1/48
Cookie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 04:21 AM UTC
Don 't usually build many aircraft models. When i do i like 1/48 scale. Kinetic are new to me. Who do they line up with in terms of the other 1/48 scale kit manufactures. Their costs see to reflect Tamiyas price range but how about quality and fit.

Cookie
ViperEnforcer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 204 posts
AeroScale: 202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 12:59 PM UTC
Generally, Kinetic kits suffer from crude tooling aspects and major shape inaccuracies with most of their kits.

Their first 2 releases were the 48th F-84F and 32nd F-86. The F-84 was a reverse engineered copy of the Monogram kit. Overall, there was no real advantage as the recessed panel liens were way over done (trenchy) and they made some additional errors. Their F-86 suffered from some of the same problems.

There 48th F-16s have been their most controversial. It was obvious they copied Tamiya to some extent, but again the grossly over done surface detail and shape errors spoiled the first releases. Later on some half-way fixes helped the nose problem, but the poor first impression was already set.

Kinetic was commended for producing multiple F-16 variants, but since they took on to much in such a short time, again they executed poor shape qualities into their tooling. Overall when comparing engineering, shape accuracy, fit, level of detail, and tooling quality; Tamiya’s F-16 stand far and away from the Kinetic kits. The only real advantage Kinetic has over Tamiya, is variant options.

Kinetic’s recent Hawkeye kit was an improvement over their F-16 fumble, but then again, there’s no other 48th E-2 to compare it to. Even so, it’s a decent kit, though the surface detail is again, to heavy. The Kinetic EA-6B was their latest release and is also a decent kit, though compared to Monogram is not as good in “Shape accuracy” (mainly the canopy) but does have a more accurate wing fold and other smaller details. The retail price is quite steep at around $90.

Mike V
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 02:07 PM UTC
Having built the E2C IMHO thought it was a good kit and it built nice also been eyeballing the EA-6 that Joe is building.check it out it looks like a good kit if you want actual build pics.
AfterburnerDecals
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 2010 - 08:39 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Having built the E2C IMHO thought it was a good kit and it built nice also been eyeballing the EA-6 that Joe is building.check it out it looks like a good kit if you want actual build pics.

They are both perfectly serviceable kits, who have the advantage of not having Tamiya counterparts. When the vipers go tete-a-tete with the Tamiya ones, the company with the experience and technology starts you out further down the road. I thought the vipers were too ambitious to try that soon, but I think the capital infusion helped a lot with the newer, better projects.

Kinetic is the real deal, and if they continue to improve like they are, and take feedback the way they have, there's joy in the works with future projects.

If you aren't terribly picky about shape, accuracy and fit, the vipers will fill the bill, but as Mike mentioned, the only advantage is variant options, and Tamiya doesn't make Ds, MLUs, Block 60s or Sufas.
Cookie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 02:03 AM UTC
Thanks Guys very Helpful
As i noted i am not an aircraft builder, but I really like the F16 and fancy building one.
Maybe i should look for a cheaper option, like one from the Italeri range, before progressing to the next level.
I will do a bit of research on available F16 kits and take on board your comments.
I presume at 1/48 scale the best are Tamiya in terms of ease of build etc.

Cookie
AfterburnerDecals
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 28 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 05:07 AM UTC
Yeah, I was gonna say, I don't think you'll get the satisfaction from an Italeri or Hasegawa kit...they tend to fight you along the way. The Tamiyas as fidly, but viceless...there are a LOT of build articles on how to get the most from that kit. If you do it right, they are truly a fillerless build. The most critical part is the front upper fuselage half where it joins the rear fuselage just behind the cockpit...same as the Kinetics, except they don't fit nearly as well.
 _GOTOTOP