_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
A few X-15 questions
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 13, 2010 - 08:23 AM UTC
Hi,

...and sorry if this should go into the real spacecraft category over at modelgeek instead. This is kind of a borderline case, you know.

I got this recently (re)released 1:72 scale MPM kit (X-15A-2 "with dummy scramjet"). While there seems to be plenty of great reference material online, I could use some help on a few points.

At first, the kit part comprising of just two halves seemed simplified to me, the solid rear of it to be exact. But then I reasoned it's most likely called a dummy for a reason...?
Googling around, I found a couple of photos (1, 2). This pic taken from the side shows a "spike" protruding from the back, now assuming the museum display piece is accurate.
Should I presume the kit part with a solid back is accurate?

Another thing: does the white final coating also mean the lower ventral fin is lowered and shortened? (i.e. was the fin modified before any of the ablative coating(s) being applied?)
I thought I found a definitive answer when stumbling upon this gallery, but then remembered the coating had to be reapplied after each flight as it wore so quickly.

And finally, about the external fuel tanks. The 1:72 kit comes with just the tanks and their mounts, and could use some detailing. Special Hobby's 1:32 scale kits has this area covered in much more detail, and I was thinking if the instructions could be used as a detailing guide?

Thanks in advance for your help!
 _GOTOTOP