Question re: P-38 from 475 FG
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 02:47 PM UTC
Howdy all-
I'm working on P-38H White 120 "Thoughts of Midnite" from the 431st FS / 475th FG, as depicted on Pyn-Up decals sheet 48001. Google is failing me in an effort to resolve the following:

The decal instructions don't show any red squadron color on the spinners or top/bottom tips of the tails, but most photos I have of 475th FG aircraft show the squadron colors marked in these areas. Tom McGuire's early P-38 is also depicted with red boom stripes, with both these stripes and the fin flash bordered in white.

Does anyone know if or these features were included on "Thoughts of Midnite," or care to comment on the likelihood of their presence?

Thanks a BUNCH in advance for helping me finish my build for the "Nose Art" campaign!

Tom Dungan
Wisconsin, USA

tmeyer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 11:25 AM UTC
I'll try to remember to check my 475th FG references (Possum, Clover, and Hades and a Kagero 475th book I have) and let you know what I find out. I think most aircraft had their squadron colors on the spinners, though. The stripes on the booms are on flight lead or squadron commander aircraft, so wouldn't be on regular aircraft.

Will get back to when I can.

Thanks,

Tom
doubtingthomas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
AeroScale: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 04:23 PM UTC
Thanks Tom. Although she's already done now (where were you 3 weeks ago?!?! ), the info would be useful for future 475th Lightnings I may build.

I went with the boom bands as this aircraft was flown both by Maj. Verl Jett.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond!

Regards - Tom
 _GOTOTOP