_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Cockpit Exits
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 05:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Stephen,

I was just looking at your review of the Sopwith Triplane and saw the photo of the pilot appearing to have his backside on the fuselage deck, just aft of the cockpit. The timing of you posting this photo is perfect, as I have been planning to post the following question on Aerodrome:

If a pilot lands his Albatros and prepares to de-plane, is his first move to boost himself up onto the fuselage, then swing his feet over the side?

More simply asked, can I put a pilot figure into my Albatros D.V and have him with his rump up on the fuselage, as this Triplane pilot appears to be, and have it be historically accurate?

If you can shed some light on this for me, I would be most appreciative.

Many thanks,
Michael Scarborough

Greetings Michael,

Here is a bit of fun to answer your question. Its one of my early 1:48 builds. Here is a an Alb. D.III diorama called "Home from the Front." The mechanic figure offering up a cup-o-java is a CMK figure. The figure posing as Jasta 5 pilot Ltn Strobel is unfortunately Out of production from Van's Scale Models. The Albatros D.III was built before the Eduard kit was available from a heavily modified Glencoe Alb. D.III fuselage and resin poured wings of the Eduard Alb.D.V kit.. It took three attempts to get it right.

As to the exit after he pulled out of the cockpit usually the pilot had a ladder brought to him.

Click here and scroll to the bottom for the rest of the images.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 05:09 PM UTC
Here are a couple more images from different angles.

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 05:11 PM UTC

This is the Eduard 1/48 scale kit # 8017 with a JP productions 1:48 figure. In his marvelous book, Sopwith Scout 7309 the Australian Sopwith Pup pilot Sir Gordon Taylor (66 Squadron) recorded his impressions of flying the captured Albatros D.III 2015/16, ( G.42.) "...I brought the machine in...Its personality was utterly different from our own airy Sopwith scout. Ours was , in some indefinable way, a sporting weapon, with a slightly smiling, light-hearted personality; a machine which did not identify itself readily with the slaughter of war. But this Hun was a war machine, a weapon of ruthless efficiency; cold-blooded in the metal of its V interplane struts, the Spandau guns, the big engine under the streamlined cowl in the nose, and the instruments and fittings in the cockpit... My thoughts, as I got out of the Albatros' cockpit, can be...expressed, "Give me this aeroplane to fight the war. Let me keep the Sopwith Scout to enjoy myself in the air when the war is won..." It was on 4 June 1917 that Ltn. Georg Simon is taken POW at 19.25 hours between Fontaine and Heniel near Arras, in Albatros D.III 2015/16.
 _GOTOTOP