_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Help Masking Canopy
retiredyank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
AeroScale: 79 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 12:00 AM UTC
I am building a B-17 for the Big Beautiful Bombers Campaign and need some advice on masking the canopy. I have already tried rubber cement, liquid masking film, silly putty, and cutting out tiny peices of masking tape. The best result, so far, has been the masking tape. But, I think I'm going blind doing this. Looking for advice on masking the complex canopy.
Thanks in advance.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 01:30 AM UTC
That's the 1:48 Monogram/Revell kit you're building? Eduard makes a precut mask set for it. EX106.

jaypee
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
AeroScale: 1,384 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 23, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
Bare Metal Foil. and patience.

Cover the canopy in BMF and cut away the framing then spray. I feel this is the most foolproof method. Most complicated canopy I've done is this one. It worked pretty well and I'm a clumsy modeller.

G-AGES Sunderland Construction and Painting Complete, Weathering TODO
viper29_ca
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
I echo what John-Paul says.....Bare Metal Foil, works awesome. It is so thin that it conforms to anything, sticks well and cuts sharp lines. Just make sure you have a new blade in when you start cutting it.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC
BMF for sure, but get a bottle of Goo-Gone, citrus scented adhesive remover to use with an ear bud (q-tip) will take off any BMF adhesive and will not (it has not for me) damage arcylic paint finishes that have cured.

I also like the Tamiya masking tape (the thin yellow stuff) for smaller (1/72) a/c canopies, but it is a little pricey.

I have had ZERO luck with the various masking agents

Mike
 _GOTOTOP