_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
frog 1/72 meteor
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 203 posts
AeroScale: 57 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 04:58 AM UTC
sanded off raised panel lines and scored new . made nav lights

almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 07:48 AM UTC
hello paul! what paint did you use for the silver? it looks nicely matted down, nice work on the airfield pic btw.
over the last year i've built a couple of these old frog kits myself, a mustang III and a heinkel 162, with a little bit of tweaking they make up into pretty nice models, and you can pick them up fairly cheaply (the mustang only cost me £2 at last years telford show!)
i also have in my stash a frog whitley (not cheap, but not as much as i've seen them go for) and a dornier 335 nightfighter.
one last thing though, i notice the decals on your kit have yellowed with age, one way to reverse this is to tape them onto a window the gets a lot of sunlight, for a minimum of a week but longer if you can, this will bleach out the yellowness from the carrier film, plus trimming them as close to the insignia as you can helps.
keep up the good work!
phil.
tornado64
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 203 posts
AeroScale: 57 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

one last thing though, i notice the decals on your kit have yellowed with age, one way to reverse this is to tape them onto a window the gets a lot of sunlight, for a minimum of a week but longer if you can, this will bleach out the yellowness from the carrier film, plus trimming them as close to the insignia as you can helps.
keep up the good work!
phil.

thanks for that tip !! i inherrited a large stash from an old gents house clearance after his death and i have loads that need it !!

my front window is going to look like hannants !!

the paint was an experriment realy i airbrushed humbrol matt black 33 around all panel lines then sprayed all over in humbrol aluminium 56 lightly so panel lines were still fairly visible then sprayed inside the pannels with hubrol silver 11

when dry blended in with my fingers then coated in klear once decaled up i washed in very diluted hubrol 33 once that had dried i wiped off excess with white spirit

although next time i would leave the decaling till last as i damaged them and had to use a set out of another frog meteor

i lost count of how many times i built the frog meteor ( badly ) as a kid

our local newsagent was very unimaginative regarding stocking kits

and when mum went into town she was guaranteed to buy the same because it looked good !!
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 09:59 AM UTC
Nice one Paul, the backdrop to your Meteor looks very effective. Good result on the old Frog kit.
All the best.
tim
 _GOTOTOP