_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Renwal kits
Greenonions
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 07:16 AM UTC
Does anyone know about these late fifties kits?I have found a site that is selling them.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 08:44 AM UTC
Not only do I know about them I built most of them a a kid. What do you want to know?
Greenonions
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Not only do I know about them I built most of them a a kid. What do you want to know?

Great!
What i would like to know is Do the pioneer types come up for sale often,because i have spotted three of the double kits,and i cannot really afford them.
Also are they accurate?
Many thanks.
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 11:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Great!
What i would like to know is Do the pioneer types come up for sale often,because i have spotted three of the double kits,and i cannot really afford them.
Also are they accurate?
Many thanks.

Sometimes yes , sometimes no . A few years back they were easy to find on e-bay . Not sure of now though .

I have two of the DH-2 in the stash and no they are far from being accurate . They do look their counter-part . On the DH the engine is waaaay to small . Fusealge is the wrong shape ., To long to start with . No cockpit detail of any kind other then a pilot .Their is more but , You have to remember that when these kit's can out they were top of line or one of them . The Aeroskin is just too cool !

Now if you want you can have one of my . Just shoot me a PM .
Greenonions
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 08:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Great!
Also are they accurate?
Many thanks.

Sometimes yes , sometimes no . A few years back they were easy to find on e-bay . Not sure of now though .

I have two of the DH-2 in the stash and no they are far from being accurate . They do look their counter-part . On the DH the engine is waaaay to small . Fusealge is the wrong shape ., To long to start with . No cockpit detail of any kind other then a pilot .Their is more but , You have to remember that when these kit's can out they were top of line or one of them . The Aeroskin is just too cool !

Now if you want you can have one of my . Just shoot me a PM .

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 02:25 PM UTC
Truthfully it is as Terri has stated. The old 1:72 Renwal kits were simplistic with stand out ribs and the whole affair resembled a starving cowl. But when you applied the preprinted "Aeroskin" it became a fully detailed warbird. From accross the room that lozenge on the Fokker D.VII looked great. The even had a couple of 1:48 scale kits (Terri mentioned the DH 2) another was a Barnstorming Jenny if memory serves. For years their's was the only 1:72 Pfalz D.III available. Then came the vacuforms. . .
Greenonions
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 11:41 AM UTC
Thankyou for the replies,i just cannot resist old kits,its a nostalgia thing!
Greenonions
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 06:40 AM UTC
Hi Terri,
Thankyou for your very generous and kind offer,i shall be looking forward to recieving the DH2,we dont have kits like that over here!I think i may have a nostalgic kit collecting compulsion coming on.

RAGIII
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 604 posts
AeroScale: 600 posts
Posted: Monday, November 08, 2010 - 02:42 PM UTC
Just for the record their was also a 1/48th Nieuport 28 in Rickenbackers markings. I have one unbuilt in the stash.
RAGIII
 _GOTOTOP