_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Off the Bench: Eduard Albatros D.V
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 05:48 PM UTC
Greetings again, gang-

Yes, I actually finished one! Amazing. This is Eduard's 1:48 scale Albatros D.V Weekend Edition. Not a bad kit overall, but the locators on all struts were ambiguous, at best. This is a very fiddly kit, with a wealth of delicate and easily broken parts (not a complaint, just a warning to the sausage-fingered modelers out there!). Rigging is polyester monofilament ("invisible" thread). This is only my second biplane, and I can safely say that when building bipes there is a sequence to follow if you want to avoid hair loss later. However, I regard this build as a test bed, and I look forward to the day when I will build myself the 1:32 Wingnut Wings Albatros kit. I threw together a display base from a pine plaque, stained and grassed with railroad grass of varying colors.

Enjoy the pics-

(Note: If red X's appear instead of photos, refresh the page. NetSol's server is occasionally flakey.)

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 04, 2010 - 08:34 PM UTC
Lovely clean build Mark.

I think your finish is excellent, for only a second build of a biplane. This isnt one of Eduards finest kits, it has a few issues. That said you have really brought out the best in it.

With your level of finish I'm sure you would build a top class WNW Albi.

Keith
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 02:25 AM UTC
Decent build Mark! Are you going for the red tail trim?
m_buchler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 03:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Decent build Mark! Are you going for the red tail trim?

Thanks Keith and Stephen!

Stephen, as this was an Ebay open box purchase, I bought it with the understanding that the red tail trim was cut out of the decal sheet. So, no red trim.
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 04:37 AM UTC
Very nice. I find the red trim decals to be inadequate for this model. I just masked and sprayed the red. Missing the red trim really sticks out. But you did a fantastic job on it. By all means, stick with early aviation. You really have the eye for it.
 _GOTOTOP