_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Cutting Edge Aftermarket sets
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,019 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to aircraft modelling, having worked mostly with Tanks and various AFV's in the past. Now though I'm finding that I'm really enjoying working on both modelling subjects equally, and as with my armour I'm always looking for good after market sets to update my kits. The only problem is my knowledge on aircraft AM companies isn't as extensive.

While doing some research I found in an article that the builder recommended a firm called cutting edge, but I can find them online (they dont seem to have a website) and I'm having a hard time sourcing a stockist.

What I am after in particular are external detail sets for the KP 1/48 SU-22 M4.

Aside from crazy bids on ebay i can't find anything, I assume that these kits are out of production, or that in the worst case the company closed down?

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 06:48 AM UTC
Hi Jon

welcome to the dark side ... There is pretty much out there for the OEZ kits (48 scale later Kopro)

Of course there is the cutting edge sets, but as you noted insanely priced nowadays. Ciro Models has some nice sets (to bad they did not come out with the mega super detail set they announced some years ago .. also the site is under construction for some year now ). Of course Eduard and Part have some PE stuff and there is some resin from Aires/Quickboost. Not sure about CMK. Maybe there will be som stuff from ResinArt as they have done some for the other OEZ reboxings.

My "best advice" is (as you are UK based): check Hannants ! (biiig range of products, much of which is also available)

all the best

Steffen
P.S. I cannot help on Figures. PJ Productions has a seated pilot but else CMK would be the best guess (except maybe som russian or east europe company)
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 06:54 AM UTC
Thanks Steffen,

I'm actually trying to get some of the Ciro kits also. I went to their website but it's pretty basic. Do you know can you order directly from them? I'm after their wheel bay set in particular.

Actually I bought the Eduard reboxing that just came out and I had no idea it was based around an old kopro kit. It's quite rare in armour modelling to have reboxing, but it seems much more common place with aircraft. I was a little disappointed to find out it wasn't a new tooling.

I suppose it serves me right for my ignorance!

Even so I must say I was very impressed with Eduards Brassin resin cockpit.
Snorri23
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 514 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 07:33 AM UTC
Cutting edge was a product made by meteor products which has been decommissioned/ out of business a few years ago. If you find some snag them for you will never see them again.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 08:00 AM UTC
Well, The Ciro site is under construction for a looong time already. I have not bought from them directly .. thus my hint to Hannants...

As for armour and reboxing .. it is not that uncommon .. CMK
Gundam-Mecha
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 10:22 AM UTC
Come to think of it I guess your right steffan. But aside from DML reboxings via zvezda and revell I can't think of that many, tamiya rebox italeri and icm from time to time also.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi Jon

Somhow half of my post disappeard ...

CMK reboxed Tamiya
Tamiya reboxes Italeri (and ICM)
Revell and Italeri share tools (or rebox as you like to see it)
Zvezda and Revell also have a looong tradition of reboxing each other.
Revell also did rebox some Gunze and Dragon kits

Of course since the main production of model kits went to China you have a lot less of that .. in contrary .. there are many doubles in news (I mean the same original is issued by different companies with different tools at the same time --- something that seems to spread into aircraft too)

all the best

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP