_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Berthold's early Alb. D.III
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 07:02 AM UTC
I am building the Roden 1:32 kit and am considering one of the kit decal supplied options; Berthold's varnished wood with "winged sword" etc. My questions are:

Was this an early Alb. build (prior to mid 2200/16 W/Ns) with central wing mount radiator (as supplied) or later production machine with off-set radiator per Rodens Color and Marking Guide?' and

Top wing surface colors? Osprey says 3 color, Roden Instructions specify 2 color Green/Brown.

Lengthy research (I've got most of the common Pubs) to this point and magnification of the few photos I can locate have been fruitless; I'm betting someone on this forum will have definitive answers or at least an informed perspective to offer. (Can't live/build without at least an informed interpretation of the "basics" !)

Thanks,
Lance
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 08:19 AM UTC
The image you are discussing is a line up of Jasta 14 in April 1917. Berthold's Alb. D.III serial number is unknown. The serial numbers in of the known Albatros D.III aircraft in the unit ran from D.2050/17 - 2099/17. All had the centralized radiators and the 3 colour upper surface camouflage was standard for aircraft in this serial production batch.

Berthold was still flying an Albatros D.III in Jasta 18 at the time of his 25th victory on 26 Sept. 1917. He arrived from Jasta 14 on 12 Aug.17 and was hospitalzed on 10 Oct. 1917 due to being WIA.

lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 07, 2010 - 03:36 PM UTC
Thanks very much Stephen. The central Radiator and 3 color top surfaces confirmation has made everything fall into place nicely. As an aside, where did you find the W/Ns inventory for Jasta 14 at that particular time? I may have to add to my library!
While I'm " on a roll " I am considering using the Aeromaster D.I-D.III Woodgrain Decal set on this build. Anyone got any advice/ experience to share on this? (Can't find any comments on the forum, any feed back would be much appreciated.)

Cheers!
Lance
 _GOTOTOP