_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
B-24D
KentVH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 11:16 AM UTC
This is my practically finished 1/48 B-24D Liberator, it is a Monogram "Classics" kit so therefore horrible fit. It really took a lot of work, and I would like to know what you guys think! :-)

P.S. I'm not a great photographer so these are the best I could do!

Thanks,
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
Looks great!Are those aftermarket decals?the are a little ...how do I put it.......risque...at least for a kit thats usually marketed for "younger people" :-)
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 12:05 PM UTC
Looks great. Are those the Mike Grant Decals? How were they?
USMC0321
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 12:17 PM UTC
Yeah those should be Mike Grant's decals. They are great. He has made me custom decals before. Great guy to work with. Highly recommended.

USMC0321
KentVH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 01:02 PM UTC
Actually these decals are included in the kit. I was suprised to find them as well! There are also markings for the "Moby Dick" (a shark mouth scheme) but I wanted to do these because they are more original and I wanted to do the desert pink paint scheme.

TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 01:56 PM UTC
Howdy Kent,

Very nice build-up of what I personally consider the most important bomber of WWII. Yeah, I know, everybody's fav is the B-17 your saying, buttttttttttt, check the stats.

I've got a Revell B-24D in 1:72nd scale with the 'greenhouse' nose sitting on the shelf. I'd love to build it, but I'd prefer the larger 1:48th scale myself. After hearing your comment about the parts fit, I might start reconsidering that thought........

Tread.

Oh, one little comment about your kit. I can only assume that your AC is on #2 or #3 bombing mission?
KentVH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 02:51 PM UTC
treadhead, I agree with 1/48 being better. The kit is a pain sometimes but it was pretty fun to build, and now I appreciate good quality kits more

About the weathering, havent really decided how much to do cause Im not real experienced in that field. I'll probably do some pastels and some drybrushing.

Thanks for all your comments and keep em comin'!
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 06:03 PM UTC
1st really nice job on a tough but very satisfying build. Not bad really on the images. Would actually like to see more. To Treadhead, is there any easy multi-engine bomber easy to build? Tamiya's Uhu is a little complicated so is Hase's Arado. So go ahead build that B-24 in 48th, it is actually not so hard. Just a lot of detail and watch that tail alignment.
Otherwise go to it....

Chuck
Fly Navy
Venom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 07:51 PM UTC
looks very nice...
great work Kentvh
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:44 AM UTC
Looks very nice. one thing i'd suggest is some exhaust stains on the engines. The farey flight over would have stained the paint. Paint chipping is also a good way to go and maybe some "off" tone paint to simulate structural repairs would work too. great job STUG
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi Kent

She looking very nice! :-) I've got one stashed away, but lack of space has kept it un-built...

Apart from some exhaust stains and general wear and tear, this might be a great chance to try to simulate some sun-bleaching. :-)

Was the desert camouflage "field-applied"? If so, maybe you could show some O/D beginning wear through...

All the best

Rowan
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:46 AM UTC

Hi Kent ,

How Big is this Pink Doly ? I look for Your pics and saw some good details at engine and gunner/bombardier compartment - Is from a box Or You updated The kit ?
Hard Good Job - with excellent camo and nice Pin Up ....

Best Regards
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How Big is this Pink Doly ?

Hi Artur

It's a big model!! :-) You can see in one the pics, it's kicked Kent out of bed... :-)

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 08:59 AM UTC
:-) Kent looks good, I do think a little weathering would improve it somewhat. However if you haven't gone down that road yet I wouldn't recomend you try on this beaut' now. A very nice build and finish to a complicated kit.
I have one of these, but I must scribe the panel lines. Don't ask I must do it, I have actually pulled the kit off the shelf and it sits looking at me while I'm in my modelling room. It will be my first heavey bomber, when I eventually get around to building it :-) Thanks for the look at yours
Mal
KentVH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 09:57 AM UTC
Tomcat
The model is 42cm long with a wingspan of 70cm, It doesn't even fit on my desk!

The detail you saw is scratch built, I didn't buy any aftermarket for this kit, (or any kits, too expensive! )

TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 10:11 AM UTC
Kent,My father was a nose turret gunner on a B-24 H.
I am a liberator fanatic.S lets kick this one up a notch...
The nose gear doors on all models up to and including the D model opened up and inside the aircraft.On later models this was changed to opening down.
The ends of your pitot heads,should be steel.The "arm" coming out from the fuselage are the right color.
For simple BAM you can cut out the back of the engine nacelles.For some reason,this is blanked off on all kits,actually it was open,and allowed heat and the airstream over the encine to flow out.
Imeadiately aft of the right side rear bombbay door,there should be the red fire extinguisher door,about 3/4" up from the bottom.On the pilot's side,there should be another.1/2 way between the pitot head,and the corner of the windscreen,and about 1" up from the bottom,roughly on line with the rear of the nose wheel opening.
As for the panel lines,on my semi-scratched H version,I sanded 'em down and rescribed.a light sanding over it,and away I went.

LITTTLE BUTCH,
304TH BW,459TH BG,759 SQDRN.SN/42-52339
53 MISSIONS. declared war weary. Jan 1944-Jul 1944. (++) (++)
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 10:57 AM UTC
Hi TankCarl

Lovely model... :-)

I'm stunned I never noticed some B-24 nose-wheel doors open "in", and others "out"! Talk about in your face!! :-)

Looking at the Squadron "In Action" - some B24-Js show the doors, others don't - was this a change mid-production or have they mis-captioned the pics?

Another minor point with Kent's model... should the wheels be white?

All the best

Rowan
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 11:00 AM UTC
Wow, just love the growing collection of Lib photos!!!

To 'uscusn', actually, I built a British Mosquito many years ago when the film 633 Squadron first came out (how many of you remember THAT film! ). I dont remember much trouble with it, but I could be looking through 'time-fogged' eyes at that one...

To 'TankCarl', love your Lib too! Especially the tail markings. Speaking of Lib tails AND "kicking it up a notch"......What!....no single tailed Lib's out there!?!
Come onnnnnn, guys!

Regards,

Tread.

Maybe one of our 'AAA fodder' members has built one................
ModlrMike
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 714 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 12:27 PM UTC
This thread has me aching to build my B24D. I have the Monogram (4339) 1/72 kit from the eighties. Lots of raised rivet detail that I'm going to knock back. The fit looks ok with a wicked seam right down the middle of the fuselage. I'm going to make it one of the "form up" aircraft. See my thread on polkadot plane.
TankCarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:16 PM UTC
Merlin,yes,a few San Diego B-24J's had inward openiing nose gear doors.The color of the nosewheel hub could/should be neutral grey on OD/Neutral grey A/C.On natural metal finish A/C you can be silver or what ever finish color you use.The strut should be neutral grey on OD's and NMF on NMF A/C.
In my life I had the ancient B-24 from the 60's (box scale) with a bubble that turned for the ball turret.And That one had rivets all over.
I have the reissued Revell D as a PBY in sea search colors (the one with movable control surfaces.)
And I have as many of the Minicraft 1/72nd Libs as I can get my hands on,they are very good for the scale. (++) (++) (++) (++)
Desert-Fox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 04, 2003 - 07:21 AM UTC
Looking good. I would agree with most of the posts.
Some nice darkening of the panel lines especially.
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2003 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow, just love the growing collection of Lib photos!!!

To 'uscusn', actually, I built a British Mosquito many years ago when the film 633 Squadron first came out (how many of you remember THAT film! ). I dont remember much trouble with it, but I could be looking through 'time-fogged' eyes at that one...

Is this the movie with Cliff Robertson as one of the pilots, I have not seen this movie in years. Also would love to see the Dambuster movie again also. Classic WWII movies.

Chuck
Fly Navy!

Maybe one of our 'AAA fodder' members has built one................

Machu
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 208 posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2003 - 06:14 AM UTC
nicely done :-) I hope you don't have kids that looks that
 _GOTOTOP