_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
1/48 B-1B Bone
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 12:18 PM UTC
I swear this has to be the largest kit I will ever build. I've been out of commission for a month with a broken hand, so my model building took a back seat. The 1/32 scale Hornet will be done soon, but I started on this not too long ago.

I'm keeping cockpit detail to a mininum because once it's enclosed, you can't really see anything through the tinted windows that Revell provides. Decals will be TwoBob's latest release, markings for "Seek and Destroy". The plane is famous for dropping 4 JDAMs on a "target of opportunity" during the opening stages of Iraqi Freedom. I have to figure how to get 16 JDAMs though

the WSO and DSO's office

just to give you idea of the size of the kit, I taped together the front nose halfs (fuselage is in 6 pieces) and placed it next to my Hasegawa 1/48 F-16

enjoy!
StukeSowle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 599 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 12:53 PM UTC
Holy cow! That is a big one!

Looking good so far...like the instrument panels. Real clean job.
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 01:29 PM UTC
Updated the post, I switched out the last 2 pictures with ones that have the majority of the fuselage mocked up. It's still a 1/48 scale hasegawa F-16 next to :-)
badpony
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bad Pony;
I would recommend that you obtain a copy of the IPMS article on building the B-One, there were some issues with construction of the main landing gear and the fuselage bulkheads and the article covered this issue and how to correct it.

regards,

can non-members obtain Journal issues? Also, what issue is it?
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 07:28 PM UTC
Hi BadPony , what a BIG Dolly You have ? - Looking on the pics I wonder to build a MISTEL set - B1B with F-16 ? ( category what's if ) ok...
I like watching Your cocpits - displays and all pilot stuff he need - nice job - ejection seat had a good colors ? I didn't look on walkarounds B-1 but try to look some B-1B gallery at ARC - there is a guy Fernando Dias - ( I saw a couple of days his B-1 cocpit and some progress with this BIG Mamma - good expirience )
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/

Waiting for progress
Regardus (++)
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
Hi badpony :-)

That bird is enormous... :-) there's no way, I've got room for anything like that - even Monogram's B-29 has stayed in it's box!

Nice detail on the cockpit displays. :-) I mostly build WW2 era stuff and could be accused of over-weathering, but I think a little work with washes and pastels would bring out even more of that detail :-) It might already be too late to apply a wash, but some pastel shading would definitely add some "depth" in the corners etc.

I don't have any references on the B-1 so, if every cockpit is vacuum-cleaned and polished after each flight, just ignore me! :-)

Glad your hand's on the mend... I busted my elbow-up in the summer, and know how frustrating working "cack-handed" can be... :-)

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP