_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Liquid Oxygen in aircraft 1918.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 09:57 AM UTC

Here the war time censors tried to erradicate the pipe in his mouth and rubber hose leading down but they left half of it out
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 14, 2010 - 10:52 AM UTC
Crikey talk about basic, Thats what I love about early aviation...so heath Robinson. I love the nose clip, it must have been so enjoyable flying at high altitude in an open cockpit.
Greenonions
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 06:51 AM UTC
Hi Stephen,
Were these aircraft used as bomber interceptors?

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 07:26 AM UTC
Due to the mass stepped formations that the allies were throwing up to sweep the frontline areas in late 1918, the Germans started using almost straight benzine in overcompressed motors and this liquid oxygen set up to get to the enemy's highest protective cover. Usually SE 5a and / or bomber / reconn types.

This was to kill many allied pilots post war. The Fok. D.VII that were turned over had no real demarcations as to whether they had been modified. So when allied aircrews took to topping of their war trophies with a "normal fuel" mix tragedy would strike in midflight and the motor would sieze and suddenly become 300lbs of dead weight.
Greenonions
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 07:31 AM UTC
The overcompressed motors using benzine must explain the reason for the air field crews making the upper vents in the cowling,many thanks.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 07:59 AM UTC
Yes, Hippert's machine was an early built Schwerin (parent Co.) BMW powered Fokker D.VII 350-450/18. It came with minimal vents from the factory.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, November 15, 2010 - 05:17 PM UTC
Here are some better images. Note they were originally developed for Gotha Bomber operations. (Darn it, another thing Hippo didn't put in their kit.)

". . .those are my original photos that I took of one of my oxygen generators in my backyard, a few years ago. (Still shows my white sneakers in the bottom of the first one.) Had four or five of them over the years, but this was the last/best, and still in the original crate, which I wrote on...They have all moved on to various museums and collections. I've been looking through my files for the general dimensions, which I know are in a file or email here, somewhere...Not found.....yet. I had two original Gotha cockpit items on a web auction just a bit ago, but with this economy no bids at well under what earlier ones had sold for. Not that there was ever a LARGE market for Gotha bits.... Most went to museums."

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 07, 2011 - 01:39 PM UTC
This image shows the methods used to fill the oxygen canisters.

_GOTOTOP