_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
The Virgin Flies Again!!!!
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 12:58 AM UTC
Here are some pics of one of my pet projects!!! It's a Tamiya P-47D from the 405th FG flown by LT W. Thompson. She's in OD over Neutral Grey paint with a black cowl. The black Id strips will be airbrushed soon as well as some touch ups to the prop (it only there for the pics.) She'll be carring a grong support load of 6 4.5 inch rockets, 2 500lb bombs, and a 150 gallon centerline fuel tank. right now onlt some decals have been done with more to follow in the coming days. This is a fun project, and it has proven valuable in breaking the torture of the BARBAROSA Campaign!!! Here are some pics.

BTW the damarkation was done free hand. Any comments are welcome. Air craft are not realy my strong suite in modeling. But I have always love the old P-47 work horse! STUG
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:14 AM UTC
Way too cool. I love the nose art. Is that a decal or a scratch made one? The freehand demark is great. You show very good control.

One thing I notice is that the engine seems a bit to mono tone. It does not appear (in the photo) to be a steel/black color. I can see a bit of a seam line on the prop 'connector' in the first photo (can't believe I even saw that #:-) with all the other details to look at)
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 01:47 AM UTC
looks great, add some weathering and tie it all together and its gonna be a very nice lookin kit, great work

Bender
SOW1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:12 AM UTC
OK Stug.... I know you'll never let me sleep again until I remark on this. I Love it, I just think that the name that they gave it is a bit silly... Quite obviously that girl was not a virgin! lol
Looks good hon, now can I go to bed?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:38 AM UTC
Hi Stug

She's gonna look neat! :-) It really cries out for some weathering and washes to make the detail pop out!

Do you apply varnish only where the decals are to go? I ask because there's a little shininess still around the decals, while the rest of the painwork is pretty matte. A coat of varnish overall should tie everything together (and make washes work better). :-)

As the prop isn't attached yet, maybe you could run a wash over the engine as well, to show off that detail...

All the best

Rowan
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 12:03 PM UTC
I agree with everyone elses comments and think the wash would do the engine good. Don't forget the wingtip lights.
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC
Thanks for commenting guys, first I havn't varnished the areas for the decals a little bit of buffing with a rag gave me a good surface to apply the decals to. Second they are decals from Eagle Strike productions. I wish my skills were that good.I actually found the decals first then went and got the kit. In my next set of pics after I get the rest of the markings and some weathering done I'll try and get some pics of the engine for y'all, Tamiya realy did a good job of getting the engine in the right place in the cowl so it hard to see with all the ducting. Finaly I'm realy cautious with the brakable stuff and clear thingies like the light. they'll go on last!! thanks again any more suggestion woul be great!!! STUG
Venom
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alessandria, Italy
KitMaker: 720 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 10:54 PM UTC
very nice
also the strange name...
If you do also weathering you can have a very good model
regards
FAUST
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
AeroScale: 190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 02:22 AM UTC
Steve

Quite a nice plane that is going to be. From out my point of Armor modeler I would suggest that you run some washes into the panel lines of the plane around the nose or even the whole plane. Gives you a little more depth and delivers it more interesting then it already is.

I really like the transfers but indeed they can get a final coat of gloss varnish or something like that to let them blend in in the plane itself. The demarkation looks very natural and is well done for a freehand sprayjob

mrs_selrach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 07:25 PM UTC
Now I like that. I agree ... it screams.. "weather me!"

#:-)
Dmd
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 07:27 PM UTC
hi steve

wow what a lovely plane you've got there i really like those decals on the engine, that's a part i really like.

to be honest i think your paintjob is oké, but mayby some little weathering (just a little bit) would make thise masterpiece a highe ranked one

greetings

dmd
Shahrid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Damansara, Malaysia
KitMaker: 116 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 07:59 PM UTC
Nice gal #:-)
Selrach
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 08:04 PM UTC
Looking good. Can't wait till it's got a little weathering and she's done :-)
 _GOTOTOP