_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Vector 1:32 resin Engine Sop Tripe
mgtaylor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 59 posts
AeroScale: 56 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 03:16 AM UTC
Whooooah.... Hold the presses ? For those of you with Huge Stacks of unbuilt WWI kits, or just kits in general you may want to hold back your Roden 1/32 609 Sopwith Triplane Build for just right now ?

I 've just learned Vector (Russia made Nomega Resin) is making good on thier Promise to make a 1/32 Clearget engine.

They have had this enigne out in 1/48 resin for quite some time and have had a 'Photo' Posted of a 1/32nd version for just about as long but to date it had been a photo.

Due to expressed intrest directly from comsumers at a very recent trade show they are going forward with production.

No pricing or ordering info is availalbe yet. But normally their engines retial for $18.00 give or take.

SPrue Borthers has the best price but a limited stock. GreatModels as well will have them. I received a small discount for them last year and posted them in the classifed section. I couldnt however compete with the large retail volume discount these other stores have but at the time had stock while they were out.

Sometimes too Huge volume stores like this like the Pricing war practices of Legacy Air carriers they are so huge they can afford to take a loss on one product to move it out the door or set a market low price while thye jack up prices on another product and make the difference.

Any Hoo. Point IS I;d wait or at least complete every thing else Firewall RearWard unitl it comes out. Alhtough if it takes too long, persoanlly I will be forced to be commited to moving forward with Scratch building the double Rocker arm/valve assemblies on the top of these engines which make them so distinctive from a combo of the Kit engine, Styrene sheet & rod and PART PE Sopwith Camel Sheet.

Bezza did a nice job "kit bashing/converting" his kit part enigne for his Sop Tripe build. He probalby had the right idea concentrateing his added detail to the enigne face as that is what is most visable through the cowl. In fact it's probalby NOT neccessary at all to fuss with the tops of the clyindars on that kit part since so much is obsured by the cowl unlike a Fokker cowl which hangs half of the whole enigne out of the bottom. Only it Irk's me so I's like to have the nicer engine.

Vector is TOP of the line with thier accuarcy and you pay for it. I suppose arguabley it becomes a rub to add such expensive After Market Parts to Any kit, but hey ? What the heck ?

Just thought I'd let all of those who've recently added that kit to their Stashes the news.
Yours Mike

Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 04:47 AM UTC
Mmm Now with Santa bringing my tripe.....could I succumb to this I wonder... Answers on a postcard to.....

K
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 18, 2010 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"I recieved a follow up message from Gordon yesterday, Post the show and he confirmed with Nomega that they will go ahead with that release now.

It had already been posted on thier site since the DH2 and thier Gnome 32nd scale enigne was released but as you rightly say signature for them they tend ot beat to thier own drummer.

But your caution is well noted. I still suspect it will take it's sweet time but I am encouraged and confident now it will definately move off of the Proposed list to production. Thanks in great part to your urgings (they dont listen to me ! ) and ALL of you others who campaigned Gordon to all of our benefit.

It takes a little skilled modleing but their assocaited fit problems have some other solutions as well. VERY careful thining of the inside of the kit cowling parts with a Dremel grinder. Combined also if necessary all of Vectors engines so far include a crankcase and seperate clyinders. The slight adjustment for the fit COULD/Can come off the bottom of the clyinder and/or crankcase stub instead of scraficing the top of the clyinder head detail.

Ussualy which in many cases is the justification for the resin engine in the first place.

It helps to take a pair of calipers (dividers) to measure the radius of the inside of the kit cowl diameter clearence and carefuly measure the max diameter of the Vector to custom fit it under a cowl. I sometimes build the kit enigne too for comparison measuring as a short cut. But with thinning of the cowl interior Wall and some shaving off the bottom of the cylinders where they join the crank case there is even more room to be had to make it SPIN.

The Vector Gnome and the DH2 ARE perfectly mated. Any of the PE for that Kit too has engine details which can also be added. .
. Yours Mike

Mike,
I think you have a good grasp of the issues. Note also if buying directly from Nomega it can take upto a month for parts to arrive in USA. (From past experience.)
 _GOTOTOP