_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Attaching Clear Fuselages: Input Wanted
ZONER1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:10 AM UTC
Hello, professionals. Here's a non-routine question I'd like your help with. Recently acquired a couple model airplanes with various clear parts, like fuselage halves and cowlings, that I thought might make very interesting displays. I'd like your input on how best to mate these parts to the non-clear wings and fuselage halves without marring parts. What type of glue is best? Does paint have an application anywhere? For those who have done this, what's you're preferred technique(s).

Can't wait to hear your innovative responses. Thank you, fellow plastic-heads (.. and I mean that very much as a complement).
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hi Zoner1

Treatment Products claim their "The Treatment" Model Wax prevents fogging, and I've heard that coating clear parts in Johnson's Future (Klear) also works...

Can anyone confirm this?

All the best

Rowan
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:45 AM UTC
Here's what I'd do. Rather than leave the whole side clear, I'd assemble as seam as normal and free hand the the paint over the edge and laong areas where there was less to see. IMHO, that would make a more interesting display.
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Zoner1

Treatment Products claim their "The Treatment" Model Wax prevents fogging, and I've heard that coating clear parts in Johnson's Future (Klear) also works...

Can anyone confirm this?

All the best

Rowan

Yes - using Future Floor Finish in this manner has worked for me.

Gunnie
bison44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 471 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:19 AM UTC
If I understand you correctly, your trying not to have an ugly glue seam where you attach large fuselage parts to wings etc? HMMM, that's a tough one, well if its for display purposes i would coat the parts in future, its helps with fogging and definately puts a super clean sparkle on clear parts. With canopies you just dip the whole thing in a little jar of future and put it under cover (to avoid dust sticking to it) until its dry. I guess you just have to be careful about your glue application, as using clear parts you would be able to see the messy bonding of the 2 parts if they are clear. Maybe try white glue that dries clear? ELmers school glue, I know its for kids but works good for canopies etc also.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 04:43 AM UTC
Hi again

To hide seams, I'd do as AJLaFleche suggests. Fill and sand as usual, then paint over the seam, like a normal kit, but leave the rest of the fuselage half clear. :-)

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 07:54 AM UTC
Hi ZONER1, welcome to the site
:-) I'd go with Al's solution, what ever glue you use it will show at the seam. Mask out a portion of the clear part and detail behind the clear panel. If you do this I would use normal polystyrene liquid cement. :-)
Mal
PS Sorry, I'm not a professional.
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2003 - 11:21 PM UTC
I've always had luck using MM Clear Parts Cement (see link for picture of product), but I do coat clear parts with Future first.

MM Clear part cement

Mike

_GOTOTOP