_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Punch and Die Sets
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,032 posts
AeroScale: 1,025 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 12:30 PM UTC
I am seriously considering ordering one of the Waldron sets; have done a quick search of Reviews etc and can't locate any information.
My question is: which set (the sub-miniature set or the larger diameter set at half the price) is better suited to mainly 1/32 and very occasional 1/48th work.(Instruments, engine add-ons etc.) Or are both sets advisable?
Any and all bits of advice or experience most appreciated as the total associated with my model desk "wish list" is becoming somewhat frightening!
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 01:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am seriously considering ordering one of the Waldron sets; have done a quick search of Reviews etc and can't locate any information.
My question is: which set (the sub-miniature set or the larger diameter set at half the price) is better suited to mainly 1/32 and very occasional 1/48th work.(Instruments, engine add-ons etc.) Or are both sets advisable?
Any and all bits of advice or experience most appreciated as the total associated with my model desk "wish list" is becoming somewhat frightening!

Greetings Lance,
I have not used the set but I am familar with an IPMS Judges grand champion that does. He built a 1:72, 14 cylinder radial using the disks he punched out about 18 years ago. He has used the method on several other builds. I believe he has a website called Buffiesbest.com. He also has a small line of detail parts. If memory serves the set use to be about $30.00 at the time. I don't remember what sizes he used.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 01:51 PM UTC
Lance, Check out Roll Models, I think that they own the Waldron punches now. IIRC the miniature set runs a lot closer to $55, the sub-mini set runs over $80.

There is an older punch thread that I recall that had a link to a place (small parts?) that sold a variety of individual punches at decent prices.
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 03:33 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen,
Checked out the site you provided but nothing immediately available on the topic. Thanks as well for moving this to General Aircraft: I'm still feeling my way around the site and never thought to go the "general" route......should be able to get some answers here for sure.

Cheers,
lance
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 03:40 PM UTC
Mark,
Thanks, Roll Models is where I'm anticipating ordering the set(s). Initially found the product (after it dropped out of my sight) in the latest Windsock under Accessories Reviews. Prices have definitely gone up since I last considered the purchase however I've heard they are an awesome addition to the "tickle trunk' Hopefully I'll get some feedback from someone or two who have used them.

Cheers,
Lance.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 21, 2010 - 04:16 PM UTC
I've got both sets. I haven't done anything as extreme as building up a radial engine out of a few thousand disks.... However, I have used the punches for disks in various build opportunities.
The lens on the electric gunsight on the P-40 is a punched disk.

I also used punched disks to fill holes on the bottom of this SBD

On another kit I used the disks to fill ejector pin marks on the inside of gear doors.
Several disks could be built up and then cut down to make a throttle quadrant.
chukw1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 817 posts
AeroScale: 729 posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 03:42 AM UTC
Hi, Lance-

I first bought the regular set and have used it extensively in 1/48 aircarft and on my 1/72 U-boat. Now I'm using it in 1/35 military stuff, so I think it'll work quite nicely for 1/32. I've since bought the sub-mini set- it's best for making teeny-tiny thingies. Go for the regular set first- you will love it, guaranteed!

Cheers-
chuk
robtmelvin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 05:21 AM UTC
Lance, I got mine directly from MircoMark. Here is the link: www.micromark.com/MICRO-PUNCH-SET,8603.html

Great company to do business with. First rate customer service.

Hope this helps.

Bob
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi Lance

I've been using a sub-miniature Waldron set for about 20 years and they are mainstay of my toolset for 1:48 and larger. The Historex punches are also well worth checking out - slightly different sizes, plus a hex-shape set.

All the best

Rowan
lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 02:24 PM UTC
Rowan/Bob/Chuk/ & Mark,

Thanks for the replies and great feedback. Based on your responses I've just ordered the Regular Set (0.160 to 0.039 Set of 6) and, I suspect by Rowan's experience, the Sub Mini Set will no doubt be justified in the near future.
This a great endorsement of our shared Site at Aeroscale. I enlisted to learn and gain insight and benefit from others experience; Thanks for coming through so quickly.

Cheers,
Lance

Quoted Text

Hi Lance

I've been using a sub-miniature Waldron set for about 20 years and they are mainstay of my toolset for 1:48 and larger. The Historex punches are also well worth checking out - slightly different sizes, plus a hex-shape set.

All the best

Rowan

lcarroll
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 02:49 PM UTC
Rowan (et al)
The (Regular) set I ordered finally arrived and has already been used. What a great product!
Have already embellished a cockpit with crisp and clean instrument components, both improvements to kit components and as foundations for scratch built add-ons. Highly recommend this tool to everyone.

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP