_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Easy NMF Help
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 596 posts
AeroScale: 197 posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hello everyone,

I'll be starting a NMF model soon and I would like any kind of advice for how to get the most realistic finish. I know to build the model with flawless seams , no glue spots, or anything that will be augmented by the NMF, and to give it a light detergent wash to eliminate fingerprints. From there, I'm a little lost. Do I give it an overall base coat or just where the panel lines are? Does the base color matter?

Also has anyone seen this article? http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2005/12/stuff_eng_tech_nmf.htm
It looks like a great technique for me (especially since I can only get enamel paints easily and don't want to bother with Alclad), but I'm worried that it could get a bit tedious. Is there an easier way to get different subtle shades on the panels without individually painting each panel a different shade of aluminum? What easy techniques have you guys experimented with?

Thanks in advance!
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 09:44 AM UTC
Ooh, also if you can suggest some weathering techniques, I would greatly appreciate it!
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, November 22, 2010 - 10:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Is there an easier way to get different subtle shades on the panels without individually painting each panel a different shade of aluminum?

Hi Robby. I have an article showing how to mask off small panels and use a small amount of pastel powder of different colours and buff it in to give varied weathering effect from panel to panel. It worked on either camo or NMF and gave a great effect. The modeler used an artists paper stub pencil to buff the powder in, these are cheap and found in most art supplies.

Hope this helps.
HawkeyeV
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
AeroScale: 129 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 05:07 AM UTC
Check out my videos

http://hawkeyes-squawkbox.com/videos/
Buckeye198
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 02, 2010 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thanks for the videos Hawkeye! I do have a question though. I'm not sure how those paints are different than spraying with a regular metallic paint. I'm sure there is something that an amateur like me doesn't know about, but I'd appreciate an explanation about your product. The results look very convincing though!
 _GOTOTOP