Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Henschel 123
Mohawk73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Friesland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 388 posts
AeroScale: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 01:19 AM UTC
After a half year buildt it's finally done. Because it's my first plane since app. 1985 i had to do a lot of research to build a plane for my diorama. The last plane i buildt 25 years ago was a FW190. In that time just for fun to play with. No paint, no putty, no weathering etc.
So this was a really difficult project for me and i must say i'm happy with it.

Because i'm not the lucky owner of an airbrush i had to hand paint the entire aircraft. In the early days i painted a sherman with Revell enamel paint, but because of the smell a wanted to try acrylics. So a bought some Tamiya and Gunze. This was no succes. After reading about Vallejo and buying some W&N brushes i started painting the aircraft with 3 thinned layers of Vallejo. This went suprisingly wel.

After that 3 layers of Johnson clear (P+ we call it over here) and decals were put on. The Swastika is from Xtradecal and killmarkings from Fantasy printshop.
After the decals i put on a pinwash from burnt umber with black oils. The plane has mostly raised panellines so there wasn't much pinwash to do.

After the pinwash i put on a coat of Gunze flat and started with some pigments on the lower wing near the fuselage and some dust on the tyres and wheelbays. Also some black pigments were used at the guns and exhaustpipes. Before that i painted the exhaustpipes a little rusty and put on some bakingpowder to give it some structure. Of course the pipes and guns were drilled out before.

In the cockpit i used some bare metal foil and brashwire to scratch some straps. Milliput was used to scratch the leather pieces on the cockpit front and doors.
Fishwire was finally used as antennawire.

But enough talking and see for yourself. All types of input are welcome. I know my shortcomings
Sorry about the lowquality pictures

The diorama you see is under construction since 1,5 year. I will try to make a thread about it soon, but i'm not sure were to put it. In the WW2 section of Aeroscale or the diorama section of Armorama.
We will see. Cheers!
Johan
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Monday, December 06, 2010 - 06:08 AM UTC
nicely done!
I too do not have/use an airbrush.
Mohawk73
_VISITCOMMUNITY