_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
New to 1/32
flapper1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 08, 2010 - 11:26 PM UTC
After a couple of years of 1/48 WWII modelling I am thinking of having a go at a 1/32 scale fighter but the prices are horrendous, however I understand there are bargains still in older and re-badged kits. Can anyone give me an idea of any good, preferably far eastern kits in 1/32 but reasonably priced. I am UK based.
ShawnM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 564 posts
AeroScale: 510 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 03:21 AM UTC
depends how hard you want to work.
The old (70's) revell kits are cheap, plentiful and fun to work with..BUT...you have to make your own detail or buy am kits to get it up to snuff.
The newer 1/32 kits are wonderful but yes they are expensive. If you watch on line and check your LHS often you can find some deals.

Here are two old revell builds Im doing now:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmanny/sets/72157624455102919/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnmanny/sets/72157622869700809/
robot_
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 719 posts
AeroScale: 691 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 09, 2010 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi Geoff, welcome to Aeroscale!

I'm not sure there are many bargains in 1/32- the older kits (e.g. Revell from the 1970s/80s) are usually fairly accurate in shape, but their detail levels are usually worse than current 1/48 models, and usually have raised panel lines and rivets. If you are used to modern 1/48 kits, I think these old 1/32 kits (E.g. Revell Hurricane Mk.I and Spitfire Mk.I) would be a disappointment. If you want to try your hand at scratch-building detail for these older 1/32 kits, take a look at Large Scale Planes forum for many builds of this type: http://www.largescaleplanes.com/

The only significant cross-branding in this scale I am aware of is the Hasegawa kits being sold by Revell. I don't think there are many (if any) of the 'best of type' Hasegawa kits re-branded by Revell in this scale.

Academy do some good value 1/32 kits (at least cheaper than Trumpeter and Tamiya), but I don't think there are very many WW2 subjects.

Eduard do a weekend edition Bf 109 that can be found for around £20, and some of the Hasegawa 109's are also around this price, but I don't have experience of any of these.

Unlike in other scales, that occasionally have some really good kits from the mainstream manufacturers, and are sold in enough numbers to bring their prices down to be a bargain, this isn't the case with 1/32. You generally get what you pay for.

I think the MDC Typhoon, as a hand-made British product, is good value for money at £65. But if you stretch to the £90+ of the Tamiya Zeros or Spitfires, you really get good value too, and very good engineering, so little fit issue to deal with, just enjoyment of the construction process.

If you are flexible about doing a not-so-typical aircraft, take a look at José's HE 162 build for an example of one of the better Revell 1/32 kits. Revell's new AR 196 is probably the best value 1/32 I can think of- brand new tooling, engine and wing fold detail, and under £20.
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 10:04 PM UTC
Hi Geoff

Another option is keep your eyes open for kits in unusual shops you can sometimes pick up bargains in these places coming up to Xmas.I recently picked up Revells Piper cub for £7.99 in T-kmax. A member if my local club heard of some Revell 109s for a similar price in home bargains.
05Sultan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
AeroScale: 258 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
Depends what you build.
For WW1 try Academy Neiuport 17, usually around 10 USD on eBay.
For WW2 try Revell Hurricane IIb, usually 12-18 USD
For Korea try Trumpeter MiG-15, usually 9-18USD. On this one, the gun mounts are "short shot" in themolding process and need some putty sculpting to correct. Use metal tube for the 23mm cannons.
All 3 are in my gallery as well as quite a few other members galleries.
Cheers!
Rick
flapper1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 4 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 08:13 AM UTC
Thanks for your replies - food for thought. Though to be honest as a 60 year old modeller I did the Revell classics first time round in the 70's. Great kits then not so good now. I knew there was some reboxing of Hasegawa BF109's by Revell but they seemed short lived. Eduard Weekend Edition seem the best option. The hobby sure is expensive now.
plastickjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 399 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 16, 2010 - 07:51 AM UTC
Revell is coming out with a beautiful Arado 196 in 1/32 scale with a complete engine, folding wings and super duper detailed cockpit and should retail for under $35!!! I'm just waiting for oit to be released......
 _GOTOTOP