_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
Double Trouble over Vietnam - Skyraiders
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,163 posts
AeroScale: 255 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 09:53 PM UTC
Hello all,

I took a break from my armor modelling and decided to build aircraft for a change. As there was a centennial group build going over at ARC and I wanted to get rid of my 1/72 scale kits, I decided to tackle my Hasegawa A-1H Skyraider kit. Actually, two kits. I will complete one in Navy colors while the other will be a USAF Spad.

Since the kit only includes VNAF aircraft (those schemes are cool and I'll use a decal set for that on my 1/48th Tamiya Spad), I needed proper decals. Superscale was my answer, their #72-853 includes decals for one Navy and one USAF aircraft.

In addition, the kit cockpits are very basic, just a seat, a stick and a whole lotta nothing else. I purchased Eduard's PE set (SS113) and began to work on my "Double Trouble" (Yes, I was listening to Stevie Ray Vaughan at the moment, hence the name).

I began with Eduard parts. They are well proportioned and fit the kit perfectly. I sometimes have issues with PE parts being oversized or the wrong shape. No such problems for this set.

After the treatment, the cockpit. Not entirely sure about the colors of those seat belts... Eduard tells you to paint them "tan" and the only tan color I had was this. I hope they are not supposed to be a much lighter color.

After checking everything, I put the fuselage halves together. To my surprise, they fit perfectly. I have built Italeri kits in the past, so I'm not used to such precision

This was my progress for last night. Today, I'll assemble the wings and start sanding-puttying stuff if necessary.

AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hi Emre. You have made a really good start on your "Double Trouble" build, those cockpits look great, very nice detail. Of course, with SRV (greatest guitarist in HISTORY) on in the background nothing could possibly go wrong !!
Which album are you listening to ? Texas Flood is still my favourite.

Please keep the progress shots coming, I'm looking forward to seeing this unfold.

Cheers, D
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 12:34 AM UTC
Thanks Damian. Indeed I was listening to Texas Flood

I am confused about landing gear bay colors. The instructions call for FS36622 for landing gears, which is a camouflage grey. This color is also the underside color of VNAF aircraft as far as I can understand.

Question: Would US Navy and Air Force Spads also have this color for their landing gear bays? Or another color?
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:19 AM UTC
FS36622 was the colour I used on the underside and landing bay of the Cessna A-37 Dragonfly I recently completed for the CAS Campaign, not sure if that helps but it was the colour called up on that aircraft also.

Cheers, D
emroglan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 - 01:51 AM UTC
Thanks Damian. CAS Campaign? Hmmm, maybe I should join it eh? A Skyraider should qualify as a CAS plane I guess.
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC
How's it going with those Skyraiders Emre? Looking good so far.
All the best.
tim
 _GOTOTOP