_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
REVIEW
1/72 F-104G Starfighter.
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 08:04 AM UTC

tim hatton [litespeed] takes a look at the recent release from Italeri of the 1/72 Lockheed Martin F-104G Starfighter.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 08:11 AM UTC
Hello,
I was thinking it is actually a re-release of the old ESCI/AMT mold - I have bought the same kit more than a decade ago in AMT packaging, including a QF-104 drone, a Canadian and a German special marking (superb decals). So I guess it comes from the ESCI molds Italeri has taken over a few years ago.
Nevertheless I agree that it is a fine kit for its age, the only really disappointing part being the landing gear bay.

james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 1,368 posts
AeroScale: 377 posts
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello,
I was thinking it is actually a re-release of the old ESCI/AMT mold - I have bought the same kit more than a decade ago in AMT packaging, including a QF-104 drone, a Canadian and a German special marking (superb decals). So I guess it comes from the ESCI molds Italeri has taken over a few years ago.
Nevertheless I agree that it is a fine kit for its age, the only really disappointing part being the landing gear bay.

I can confirm this should be a former ESCI model.
The decal sheet looks great, but I was wondering whether the stencils featured on the anti-glare panel on the nose are available as single decals in order to allow the modeller to paint the area.
I almost finished (after almost ONE year) the Hasegawa 1/72 F-104S, which suffers from its age and poor maintenance of the moulds (I found lots of flashes and a frightening sinkmark on one of the front fuselage halves) and is a bit more complicated, being the front half of the fuselage separated from the back. Maybe my copy was faulty (I paid just €10 for it)?
This model looks easier to build and the decals look extremely better than the Hasegawa ones though!
I think I'll try it in the future, I think it will be worth it given the moderate retail price (€12 at the hobby shop). Despite I have a good amount of stuff to build up, I would like to see another Italian F-104 wearing the green-grey-silver camo scheme close to my grey F-104S.
Just a pity you didn't find the canopy (which is a single part only as far as I could see)! Have you sent an e-mail to Italeri?
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 - 09:56 AM UTC
Hi Gabor and Giacomo.
Sorry about that, I did check my reference to the source of this kit. It would appear that the source was erroneous. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Giacomo the stenciling is part of the olive green anti glare panel. The decal looks pretty matt and looks usable to me. I did write to Italeri concerning the canopy, but they suggested that I should contact the supplier in France. I contacted them about three weeks ago and not heard a thing. Not impressed with Italeri customer care at all.
All the best.
tim
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 06:46 AM UTC
Cheers!
litespeed
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 08:26 AM UTC
Well good news folks. I have been sent a new canopy, it arrived this morning. I shall photograph it and put it on the review page. It's only taken 50 days to arrive here, I emailed the Italeri supplier here in France on the 1/11/10. Well better late than never.
All the best.
tim
warreni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
AeroScale: 2,201 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:56 PM UTC
Just one comment, Martin never had anything to do with the Starfighter. It was designed and built by Lockheed.
james84
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well good news folks. I have been sent a new canopy, it arrived this morning. I shall photograph it and put it on the review page. It's only taken 50 days to arrive here, I emailed the Italeri supplier here in France on the 1/11/10. Well better late than never.
All the best.
tim

I just hope they did apologize and didn't ask you to pay the postage!
 _GOTOTOP