_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
A Matchbox challenge: 1/72 HS.125
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:59 PM UTC
This build started a few weeks ago with a challenge for the 2011 IPMS Sweden Open: build a Matchbox model! It doesn't have to be a "real" one, any re-issue with a Matchbox origin is OK.

I was told at the yearly buy-sell-swap meeting of IPMS Stockholm and quickly found a HS.125 that cost next to nothing. It felt ideal: being more or less a bizjet it is quite clean with very little detail on the outside (admittedly not one of Matchbox strong-points) and there is no modern kit of this aircraft so there is still a point in building it. Also, it looks like a very simple build with few parts.

Nice boxart, a nighttime take-off from Northolt!

Marking options, the 600-series prototype and one RAF aircraft. Decals are probably useable but I fancy something more colourful!

The usual Matchbox coloured plastic...

...more of it...

...and even more of it!

The usual head start of a project.

There are two options when it comes to interiors: detail it or put out the lights! I went for the second option this time...

A minimum-ambitions cockpit. Probably more than adequate when installed!

Fuselage closed with windows masked with tape from the inside. I will use Humbrol Clearfix for them. The beautiful red door disappeared below a thin layer of putty, I am sorry!

Magnus
Keeperofsouls2099
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 2,798 posts
AeroScale: 2,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 12:38 AM UTC
That's a different build it will be interesting to see the end result thanks for sharing
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 10:50 AM UTC
Since this is a Matchbox kit there have of course been some trenching activities both here and there, not as bad as it can be though!

I'm filling in all the panel lines, I haven't decided what to do with them later but I can't leave them the way they are, that's for sure!

I will use this decal sheet, the subject will be the lower profile with white fuselage and post office red wings and rear empennage. Quite striking!

Sadly, there is a minor trouble to handle before that: sometime during the eighties (at least that is what I think) all RAF 600-series HS.125s were re-engined, changing the RR Vipers for Garretts. The new engine nacelles look radically different from the old ones, with round intakes and a more cylindrical cross section. Five of the decal options are for the Airfix kit and these have retained the Vipers until this day, the three others are all for the Matchbox kit but all will require a change of engines even if some are drawn with Vipers in the profiles.

An easy (if not cheap) way of getting hold of Garretts is the Mach 2 Falcon 20 that comes with two sets of nacelles. Anyone having a spare set or a full kit for sale or swap? After all, it is Christmas, please donate generously

Magnus
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 11:30 AM UTC
I don't have any spare parts for you Mangus but while you're waiting go finish those Drakens.

Hermon
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 07:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't have any spare parts for you Mangus but while you're waiting go finish those Drakens.

Hermon

Just mustering my moral strength! They will get finished, with a bit of luck before the new year!

Magnus
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 - 12:22 AM UTC
Inspired choice of aircraft Magnus. I did not know Matchbox did this kit. Great progress so far.
All the best.
tim
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Inspired choice of aircraft Magnus. I did not know Matchbox did this kit. Great progress so far.
All the best.
tim

Not one of their "high-profile-releases" but I remember seeing it as a kid. They did all kind of oddities which kind of was the charm with Matchbox.

Magnus
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 07:58 PM UTC
Wings and horizontal tail are on!

I've checked my references and it seems as if the aircraft has grown some bumps and bulges (probably antennae for some secret equipment or another...) a different tail tip (a cylinder with sensors looking suspiciously like RWR antennae) and a larger ventral fin between the model's original date (1974) and today... Quite easy to fix though!

Magnus
litespeed
Staff MemberNews Reporter
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,976 posts
AeroScale: 1,789 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 09:35 PM UTC
Excellent. really enjoying your build Magnus.
All the best,
tim
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
Friends!

I need some help!

I was lent a set of Mach 2 Garretts and they aren't usable. They look very different from the ones used on the HS.125, I could probably as well beef up the Viper nacelles a bit .

Instead, I will probably make CAD-models of the Garrett-engines for this model.

I am looking for reference photos of the engine nacelles. My main source for photos is Airliners.net, there are lots of nice overall photos of these aircraft but I would like some close-ups of the engines. Is there anyone out there who have access to these aircraft (in a legal way!) and could take a few photos for me and also maybe measure the length of the engine pod? I am also looking for photos of the ECM-suite, if it is allowed to take photos of this of course!

An ordinary 3-view drawing would also be of great help.

Pleeasseee ?

Magnus
 _GOTOTOP