_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Roden 1:48 Airco DH 9 WiP
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 02:23 PM UTC
Hi all - after having another break away from the modelling bench due to work, and not being inspired by what I currently have on the bench, I decided to get started into something new. This was a kit I was waiting for a long time to get hold of - the Roden 1:48 Airco DH-9. My intention has been to build this as a post-war Royal Australian Air Force aircraft (hope you chaps don't mind!).

Whilst the kit is a new release for Roden, it is a little rough in places, but nothing that cannot be dealt with. I have not yet made too much of a start but thought I would post progress to round out 2010...

The fuselage halves suffer from sink marks on the inside surface, and sunken areas on the outer surface due to the plastic being removed from the mould while it was still warm. So I filled the sink holes / sunken areas, and sanded it all smooth. I then re-built the internal structure (I will also have to restore the lost surface detail on the exterior at some point too).

I also made some minor additions to the upper decking. The decking part was rough and pebbly, and the panel lines were soft, so I sanded it all smooth and re-scribed the panels. The RAAF aircraft I intend to model was pictured without any armament and only one of the support rings for the Aldis sight, so this is how I modeled the decking. I also added the round object (storage container?) on the rear of the fuselage that was carried on RAAF aircraft. Rivet detail was also added.

I also have done the 230hp Siddeley Puma engine. Not much was added as the only area that will be able to be seen is the top of the cylinders. I also modified the exhaust pipe - RAAF aircraft had a distinctive "chimney stack" exhaust, which I made from cut brass hollow tube. The engine is very un-inspirational colour wise, but all of the period photos show the engine and exhaust in a uniform metalic colour.

That's all i'm likely to get to until the new year.... all comments and feedback welcomed!

BC
westr70
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 7 posts
AeroScale: 6 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 07:09 PM UTC
Awesome would be a good beginning.
Kornbeef
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
AeroScale: 1,551 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 08:39 PM UTC
I'm sure this one is going to be another beauty.

Goos to see your mojo back.

K
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 - 01:58 AM UTC
Another wonderful build in the making ! Looking forward to your next up-date
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
AeroScale: 2,270 posts
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 - 03:25 AM UTC
Looks great, but that is what we expect from you. I think you are well on your way to being inspired by this build, as we all are.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, December 24, 2010 - 12:01 PM UTC
Go Brad go!
veector73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 11 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 12:03 AM UTC
Looks very promising! Can't wait to see more 'in progress' pics from this build. BTW: is it any particular PE set you used on fuselage upper decking?

Hope you won't forget to keep us updated!
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:05 AM UTC
Welcome to Aeroscale Tomasz.

I am sure Brad has his hands full right now. Australia has been having all that flooding, and is getting hit by a Category 5 Typhoon as I type this. I am sure all here are with me in wishing Brad and all his fellow countrymen and women the best. We hope everything will get back to normal in Australia soon. I agree with Tomasz in that I miss Brad's wonderful builds and hope he is back to his build desk soon.
veector73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 01:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Welcome to Aeroscale Tomasz.

I am sure Brad has his hands full right now. Australia has been having all that flooding, and is getting hit by a Category 5 Typhoon as I type this. I am sure all here are with me in wishing Brad and all his fellow countrymen and women the best. We hope everything will get back to normal in Australia soon. I agree with Tomasz in that I miss Brad's wonderful builds and hope he is back to his build desk soon.

Thanks for your kind welcome Carl. And thanks for reminding about what is happening in Australia right now - it's all so easy to overlook while you search the web for new modelling inspiration. I keep my fingers crossed for all Australians.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 03:57 AM UTC
A moment please for the gentlefolk done under. Thoughts and prayers for all.
Greenonions
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 - 05:47 AM UTC
Amen!
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Friday, February 11, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
Thanks guys! There's been some very interesting weather patterns down here of late... things are settling down again and I should hopefully (fingers crossed) be back at the bench some time soon....!

BC
veector73
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 06:00 AM UTC
Brad,

It's very, very good to hear that you are ok! I was watching the news the other day hoping that the weather wouldn't turn out so bad as it had been forecasted. I always new Australians were tough and it would take more than mere typhoon for you to give up! Anyway, I hope you and you country folks are well and everything is coming back to normal.
It's also very good news that you are back at your work bench. I'm looking forward to see some progress on DH9 kit (you see, I have this kit in my stash and 'to do' list as well), but don't fill pressed. It's only because your models are great inspiration for me and something to aim at with my own modelling.

Take care,
Tomasz
Mgunns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
AeroScale: 1,319 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 07:55 AM UTC
Hi Brad:

I am glad to see that you are back up and running. The weather has been crazy up here in the great upper midwest as well, cold and snow.
Hope all is well and I am looking forward to your work on the DH9.

Best

Mark
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 03:20 AM UTC
Happy to hear that you are doing well and back at the bench my friend
Looking forward to the next up-date
CaptainA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, February 14, 2011 - 12:17 AM UTC
Yes Brad, I , like the others hope you "weathered" well.

I figured your job probably took you out into the thick of all the weather problems. But I hope you and your abode made it through unscathed. We certainly missed your wonderful builds around here. But our main concern is certainly your well being. The news we saw down here where I live showed whole cities and towns being washed away. I told my wife I had a modeling friend there, and we both prayed for you.

But it is good to see you back.
 _GOTOTOP